unt of money raised and expended by the town during the war for State aid to soldiers' families, and which was afterwards repaid by the Commonwealth, was as follows: In 1861, $323.20; in 1862, $989.42; in 1863, $797.39; in 1864, $1,942.26; in 1865, $1,089.92. Total amount, $5,142.19.
Incorporated April 29, 1848.
Population in 1860, 7,261; in 1865, 7,581.
Valuation in 1860, $2,782,288; in 1865, $3,128,250.
The selectmen in 1861 and 1862 were Otis Chapman, Silas Mosman, William Thayer, Lucas B. Chapin, Daniel Knapp; in 1863, Otis Chapman, Edgar T. Paige, Daniel Knapp, Lucas B. Chapin, Silas Mosman; in 1864, Sylvanus Adams, William R. Kentfield, Henry S. Herrick, Pliny Cadwell, George H. Knapp; in 1865, George H. Knapp, Henry S. Herrick, Simon G. Southworth, Russell S. Farney, Charles S. Stiles.
The town-clerk and town-treasurer during all of these years was Lester Dickenson.
1861. The first legal town-meeting, to act upon matters connected with the war, was held