itary and Christian Commissions.
Their labors were very great, and their contributions very liberal, and were continued until the return of peace rendered further efforts unnecessary.
Incorporated Jan. 15, 1742.
Population in 1860, 748; in 1865, 739.
Valuation in 1860, $174,513; in 1865, $197,457.
The selectmen in 1861 were James M. Cowan, Warren Randall, Asahel Gates; in 1862, James M. Cowan, Lemuel H. Newell, Philander Bartlett; in 1863, 1864, and 1865, John Jones, Dexter Thompson, Alfred Taylor.
The town-clerk and town-treasurer during all these years was Calvin D. Eaton.
1861. No action by the town in its corporate capacity in regard to the war appears to have been necessary during this year.
1862. July 21st, The selectmen were authorized to borrow money to pay State aid to the families of volunteers; also to pay a bounty of one hundred dollars to each volunteer to the number of ten, who shall enlist for three years and be credited to the quota of the