ollars remained in their hands at the end of the war, which was given to embellish the grounds of the soldiers' monument.
Incorporated Dec. 13, 1715.
Population in 1860, 4,340; in 1865, 4,140.
Valuation in 1860, $1,368,099; in 1865, $1,595,257.
The selectmen in 1861 were Nathan P. Coburn, Eliakim A. Bates, David Eames, Otis L. Woods; in 1862, 1863, and 1864, Nathan P. Coburn, Eliakim A. Bates, Gardner Parker, Charles P. Morse, Thomas Mead; in 1865, Eliakim A. Bates, Erastus Thompson, Thomas Mead, Charles Seaver, Marcus C. Phipps.
The town-clerk in 1861, 1862, and 1863, was Joseph A. Tillinghast; in 1864 and 1865, J. Augustus Woodbury.
The town-treasurer during all the years of the war was Jonathan Whittemore.
1861. The first legal town-meeting to consider matters relating to the war, was held April 29th, at which Nathan P. Coburn, Alonzo Coburn, William A. Phipps, Clement Meserve, and John A. Phipps were appointed to consider and report what should be done b