Your search returned 40 results in 15 document sections:

1 2
s not since had any success in life which gave him so much satisfaction. He went to the campaign, served near three months, met the ordinary hardships of such an expedition, but was in no battle. Official documents furnish some further interesting details. As already said, the call was printed in the Sangamo Journal of April 19. On April 21 the company was organized at Richland, Sangamon County, and on April 28 was inspected and mustered into service at Beardstown and attached to Colonel Samuel Thompson's regiment, the Fourth Illinois Mounted Volunteers. They marched at once to the hostile frontier. As the campaign shaped itself, it probably became evident to the company that they were not likely to meet any serious fighting, and, not having been enlisted for any stated period, they became clamorous to return home. The governor therefore had them and other companies mustered out of service, at the mouth of Fox River, on May 27. Not, however, wishing to weaken his forces before
s have witnessed, is mentioned for the first time in the First Roster, in 1787; but, in the earlier and more confused records, there is recognition of a Medford company in 1781. The names of the officers are erased! A vacuum then occurs. After this, the commanders of the company were as follows:-- Moses Hallchosen CaptainJan. 12, 1787. Samuel TeelMarch 29, 1788. Abijah UsherMay 26, 1795. Gardner GreenleafOct. 23, 1798. Samuel NewellApril 17, 1801. Nathan AdamsApril 26, 1802. Samuel ThompsonApril 3, 1804. Until this time, this company had belonged to the first regiment of the first brigade of the third division; but now a new regiment, the fifth, was formed, and Medford, Charlestown, and Malden composed it. The next captain of the Medford company was Rufus Frost, chosen May 12, 1806. He resigned, and was discharged March 10, 1810. He was re-elected April 3, 1810, but he refused to qualify. The next captains were:-- Henry ReedchosenJuly 2, 1810. Daniel CopelandFe
Baldwin, Esq., first vice-president; and Hon. John Brooks, second vice-president. The board of directors being duly organized, the next duty was to commence the necessary surveys of the most eligible route between Medford River and Chelmsford, by the Concord River. Here the committee were met by an almost insurmountable difficulty: the science of civil-engineering was almost unknown to any one in this part of the country. They were, however, determined to persevere; and appointed Mr. Samuel Thompson, of Woburn, who began his work, and proceeded from Medford River, at a place near the location of the present lock, and followed up the river to Mystic Pond, through the pond and Symmes's River, to Horn Pond in Woburn, and through said pond to the head thereof. Meeting here bars they could neither let down nor remove, they went back to Richardson's Mill, on Symmes's River, and passed up the valley, through the east part of Woburn, to Wilmington, and found an easy and very regular asc
Kidder. Abner Peirce. Thomas Learned. William Lowder. John Leathe. Jude Symonds. David Osgood. Josiah Polly. Jonathan Porter. Isaac Pratt. Thomas Hewes. Benjamin Reed. Peter Tufts. James Tufts. G. Williams & Dan. Farrington. William Bucknum. Sam. Hall and John Greenleaf. J. Bannister & Lucy Pritchard. Jeduthan Richardson. Joshua Symonds. John Symmes. Josiah Symmes. Ebenezer Symonds. Thomas Savel. Daniel Symonds. Samuel Thompson. Samuel Teal. Samuel Teal. Samuel Tufts, jun. Abigail Tarbutt. Benjamin Tufts. Gershom Tufts. Benjamin Tufts, jun. Jacob Tufts. Hutchinson Tufts. Peter Tufts. Isaac Tufts. Daniel Tufts. Jonathan Tufts. Ebenezer Tufts. James Tufts. Gershom Teal. Watts Turner. Hutchinson Tufts, jun. Eleazer Usher. Nathaniel Watts. Ebenezer Williams. Isaac Warren. Gardner Greenleaf. Joseph Wyman. James Wyman. John Wade. Conver
774 County convention, thirty-nine delegates from nine towns in Cumberland county, held at Falmouth, at which meeting Sheriff William Tyng declared his avowal to obey the province law and not that of Parliament, and which advises a firm and persevering opposition to every design, dark or open, framed to abridge our English liberties ......Sept. 21, 1774 Captain Mowatt and two companions of the British sloop-of-war Canseau are made prisoners by fifty or sixty volunteers under Lieut.-Col. Samuel Thompson, while ashore at Falmouth. The sailing-master of the Canseau excites the people by threatening to burn the town if Mowatt is not restored; being released on parole, Mowatt weighs anchor, sails for Portsmouth......May 9, 1775 An English schooner, the Margranetto, loading at Machias, is seized by a party of volunteers under Benjamin Foster and Jeremiah O'Brien; after capturing this prize O'Brien sails into the Bay of Fundy, and on his return captures a schooner and tender which
Historic leaves, volume 2, April, 1903 - January, 1904, Historical Sketch of the old Middlesex Canal. (search)
the Concord River. Here the committee were met by an almost insurmountable difficulty; the science of Civil Engineering was almost unknown to anyone in this part of the country. They were, however, determined to persevere, and appointed Mr. Samuel Thompson, of Woburn, who began his work, and proceeded from Medford River, following up the river to Mystic Pond, through the pond and Symms' River to Horn Pond in Woburn, and through said pond to the head thereof. Meeting here bars they could nf Loammi Baldwin and Samuel Jaques, was appointed ‘to attend him during his survey and observations relating to the canal.’ The survey was completed, and a full report made by Mr. Weston on the second day of August, 1794. The survey made by Samuel Thompson was the one selected forty years later for the Boston & Lowell Railroad. Agents were then immediately appointed to carry on the work, to commence at Billerica Mills on the Concord River, and first complete the level to the Merrimac at Nor
min Hurd, Jr., Timothy Walker, Timothy Thompson. 1802, Samuel Tufts, Seth Wyman, Jonathan Teel, Captain Thomas Harris, Matthew Bridge, Deacon David Goodwin, Samuel Payson. 1803 and 1804, the same, with the exception of Samuel Payson, who was succeeded by Captain Nehemiah Wyman. 1805, Seth Wyman, Captain Harris, Matthew Bridge, Deacon Goodwin, John Stone, Peter Tufts, Jr., Joseph Phipps. 1806, Seth Wyman, Matthew Bridge, Peter Tufts, Jr., James Green, Elijah Mead, John Tufts, Samuel Thompson. 1807, James Green, Elijah Mead, Peter Tufts, Jr., Captain Daniel Reed, John Kettell, Daniel Parker, Samuel Kent. 1808, the same, with the exception of James Green, who was succeeded by Timothy Thompson. 1809, the same. 1810, the same, with the exception of Timothy Thompson, who was succeeded by David Devens. 1811, Rev. William Collier, Jonas Tyler, William Austin, Joseph Phipps, Samuel Kent, Philemon R. Russell, Ebenezer Cutter. 1812, Rev. William Collier, Dr. Abram R
Historic leaves, volume 6, April, 1907 - January, 1908,
Union Square
and its neighborhood about the year 1846. (search)
and grandfather of the author, Elbridge S. Brooks, Esq., deceased, formerly vice-president of the Historical Society. From Union square along the southerly side of Somerville avenue to the East Cambridge line I do not recall any dwellings. At the northeast corner of the avenue and Prospect street was the house of Benjamin F. Ricker, mason, father of Captain Melvin B. Ricker, of our fire department; east of this was the house built by John C. Giles, already spoken of, later owned by Samuel Thompson, flour inspector, a colored man, said to have been one of the best flour judges in Boston, a gentleman of dignified manner. The blacksmith shop of Seward Dodge, the paint shop of J. Q. Twombly, and Artemas White's harness shop, all between Union square and Prospect street, on the south side of Somerville avenue, and the house of Abraham Welch, superintendent of town streets, were, I think, all built later than 1846. Mr. Dodge was councilman and later alderman of the city, and Mr. Two
et, 76. Teele, Jonathan. 52, 53. Teele. Samuel, 52. Teele, William, 52. Tenth Anniversary Banquet, The, 73-84. Ten Hills Farm, 25, 26, 28, 55. Tent holes, 36. Third Brigade, 64. Third Corps, 44. Thirteenth Massachusetts Regiment, 21, 62. Thirteenth Massachusetts Volunteers, 70. Thirty-fourth Massachusetts Regiment, 19. Thirty-ninth Massachusetts Infantry in the Civil War, 17-23, 43-47, 56-72. Thirty-ninth Massachusetts Regiment, 19, 46, 63. Thompson, James, 29. Thompson, Samuel, 13. Thorning, John, 11. Thoroughfare Gap, Va., 43. Three-Pole Lane, 29. Titus, Arch of, 80. Towne, Orr N., 55. Trowbridge, J. T., 12. Tufts, Benjamin, 53. Tufts, Charles, 9, 12. Tufts College, 9, 12, 74, 78. Tufts, Edmund, 55. Tufts, Elizabeth, 51. Tufts, Francis, 11, 41, 42. Tufts House, 77. Tufts, Isaac, 53. Tufts, James, 51. Tufts, John, 51. Tufts, M. Alice, 12. Tufts, Martha, 53. Tufts, Mary, 52. Tufts, Nathan, 12, 55. Tufts, Nathan, Jr., 12. Tufts, Nath
2 (g. s. Arlington). 1787, Jan. 21. Capt. Samuel Carter died, and buried this week, aged 92 years or more.—Diary of Samuel Thompson, Esq., Woburn. He was a grandson of Capt. John Carter, of Woburn, and b. 31 Oct. 1694.—See Hist. of Woburn, 598. Me1. Edward, d. 23 Jan. 1806, a. 67. See Wyman, 399–Jan. (2) 4, 1806. Edward Gardner died, of Charlestown.—Diary of Samuel Thompson, Esq., Woburn. He was brother of the following. 2. Elizabeth, daughter of late Henry Gardner, was adm. Pet. ch. nd Deacon of Orth. Cong. Church, W. Camb. in 1842. [He was s. of Samuel, of Charlestown, who d. 6 May, 1790 (buried 8—Thompson ) in 50th yr.—g. s. Woburn 1st B. G.]. See Wyman, 400. (Dea. Miles Gardner, d. 14 Oct. 1863, a. 87; Lydia, w. of same, 1779. See Book of the Lockes, 153. 1784 [epitaph 1785] Dec. 25. Daniel Wyman's wife died; 27th, buried.— Diary of Samuel Thompson, Esq., Woburn. Gravestone Woburn 1st Burying Ground. Daniel Wyman d. 18 Dec. 1831, a. 80; and Hannah Wright,
1 2