service of their country.
Incorporated June—, 1669.
Population in 1860, 4,553; in 1865, 4,525.
Valuation in 1860, $2,260,826; in 1865, $2,134,878.
The selectmen in 1861 were C. B. Wood, B. P. Wood, G. W. Wood; in 1862, S. Tucker, B. P. Wood, Ira Smith; in 1863 and 1864, J. T. Wood, A. K. Bishop, Ira Smith; in 1865, J. T. Wood, A. Miller, J. M. Eddy.
The town-clerk and town-treasurer in 1861 and 1862 was Sidney Tucker; in 1863, John Shaw, Jr.; in 1864 and 1865, C. B.Sidney Tucker; in 1863, John Shaw, Jr.; in 1864 and 1865, C. B. Wood.
1861. The first town-meeting to act upon matters relating to the war was held on the 6th of May, at which it was voted to raise a military company for three years service, and to guarantee each enlisted man twenty-six dollars a month while in the service; voted to raise five thousand dollars for war purposes, two thousand dollars of which to be expended in uniforming and equipping the company; voted to pay each recruit one dollar and twenty-five cents a day when drilling, not to excee