hide Matching Documents

The documents where this entity occurs most often are shown below. Click on a document to open it.

Document Max. Freq Min. Freq
William Schouler, A history of Massachusetts in the Civil War: Volume 1 16 0 Browse Search
Thomas Wentworth Higginson, Massachusetts in the Army and Navy during the war of 1861-1865, vol. 2 4 0 Browse Search
View all matching documents...

Browsing named entities in William Schouler, A history of Massachusetts in the Civil War: Volume 1. You can also browse the collection for Philip H. Tyler or search for Philip H. Tyler in all documents.

Your search returned 8 results in 5 document sections:

the Militia. On leave, Mr. Smith, of Boston, introduced a new bill in relation to the militia; and that also was referred to the Committee on the Militia. Mr. Tyler, of Boston, from the Finance Committee, reported to the House the Senate bill creating an emergency fund of $100,000. He moved that the rules be suspended, that of the House of Representatives of South Carolina, Jan. 23, 1861. Mr. Holland offered the following, which were unanimously adopted:— Whereas a certain Mr. Tyler, of Boston, has introduced a resolution in the Massachusetts Legislature, that, in view of the great suffering in South Carolina, the immediate consequence of thSouth Carolina Legislature. You are respectfully requested to have them read in open session. W. F. Coy Kendall, Assistant Clerk. March 19. In the House.—Mr. Tyler, of Boston, from the Committee on Finance, reported a resolve relating to the equipment of troops for active service in a new draft, reducing the sum from $35,00
off the fort. We disembarked from the Pawnee a little after eight o'clock, A. M., and marched into the fort to our quarters, having eaten nothing since the day before. Thus ended the Norfolk expedition. April 22, the regiment became a part of the garrison of Fort Monroe. April 23, the regiment was properly mustered into the United-States service for three months. Companies I and M joined May 14. Company I, Captain Chamberlain, was raised in Lynn, for three years service; company M, Captain Tyler, was raised in Boston, for three years service. Companies D and E joined the regiment May 22; Company D, Captain Chipman, raised at Sandwich; Company E, Captain Doten, raised at Plymouth, for three years service. On this day, Major-General Butler assumed command of the Department of Virginia, North and South Carolina, headquarters at Fort Monroe. May 27, Company G, of Lowell, Captain P. A. Davis, was assigned to the regiment temporarily. July 1, the regiment and naval brigade left F
Essex, Bonney of Middlesex, Northend of Essex, Rogers of Suffolk, Davis of Bristol, Walker of Middlesex, and Cole of Berkshire; on the part of the House, Messrs. Bullock of Worcester, Calhoun of Springfield, Branning of Lee, Davis of Greenfield, Tyler of Boston, Coffin of Newburyport, Peirce of Dorchester, Peirce of New Bedford, Jewell of Boston, Gifford of Provincetown, Clark of Lowell, Kimball of Lynn, Merriam of Fitchburg, Bamfield of West Roxbury, and Hyde of Newton. Mr. Northend, of Eswenty-second Regiment, and left the State on the seventh day of October, 1861. Its officers were Dexter H. Follett, Boston, captain: Augustus P. Martin, Boston, and Caleb C. E. Mortimer, Charlestown, first lieutenants: Valentine M. Dunn and Philip H. Tyler, Charlestown, second lieutenants. Soon after the battery reached Washington, Captain Follett resigned his commission, and Lieutenant Martin was appointed to fill the vacancy. The Fourth Light Battery was recruited at Camp Chase, Lowell
on on Richmond, the destination was to join him, with several other nine months regiments sent forward by General Foster; but, it being ascertained that General Dix did not desire troops whose term of service had so nearly expired, General Naglee, having telegraphed to General Halleck, proposed that the regiments volunteer for service in Pennsylvania; and the Forty-sixth was ordered to report to General Schenck. The regiments reached Baltimore July 1, and were assigned to the brigade of General Tyler, commanding the exterior defences of Baltimore, and were stationed at Camp Bradford, where they were employed in patrol and guard duty, remaining till July 6. The brigade was ordered to occupy and hold Maryland Heights, and arrived there July 7; remaining on picket duty on the Sharpsburg road until the 11th, when, with the rest of General Briggs's brigade, it was ordered to join the main Army of the Potomac. It joined the First Corps, and remained, momentarily expecting offensive or
had amply prospered, the same contributors who so nobly commenced with their voluntary donations having generously adhered to it. That the supplies of the house had not been confined to Massachusetts alone, no soldier with fitting testimonials ever leaving empty-handed. That numberless letters had been received from camp and hospital, giving grateful assurance of the safe arrival of packages, &c. She returns thanks to the ladies at the McLean Asylum, Somerville, under the care of Dr. Tyler, for the large number of garments for the soldiers made by them; also to the Massachusetts Bible Society, for the generous supply of testaments. That, during the twelve months the report covers, three thousand dollars in money, and fifty thousand substantial articles, had been distributed; comprising cotton and woollen shirts, drawers, socks, mittens, soldiers' bags, pocket-handkerchiefs, new and half-worn cotton and woollen shirts, all sorts of half-worn garments for soldiers' families