Your search returned 21 results in 12 document sections:

1 2
Rebellion Record: a Diary of American Events: Poetry and Incidents., Volume 4. (ed. Frank Moore), The Blacksmiths and the Merrimac. (search)
nport, Jas. Watfield,Jas. Larkin, H. Tatem,Lewis Ewer, Wilson Guy,Jno. Davis, Miles Foreman,Jas. Watson, Sen., Hugh Minter,James Flemming, Jno. Green,Samuel Hodges, Thos. Bloxom,Alex. Davis, Jas. Mitchell,Thomas Guy, Joseph Rickets,Smith Guy, Thos. Franklin,Michael Conner, Jas. Patterson,Wm. Perry, Wm. Gray,Patrick Shanasy, Jno. Moody,Lawson Etheredge, Hillory Hopkins,Joshua Daily, E. Woodward,Jas Morand, H. Reynolds,Miles Foreman, Southey Rew,Jos. West, Julius Morien,Thos. Powell, Jos. Askew,Wm. Shephard, Anthony Butt,Jno. Curram, Thos. Bourke,Opie Jordan, Wm. Hosier,Wiley Howard. Finishers. Jno. B. Rooke,Charles Sturdivant, Elias Bridges,Jesse Kay, Anderson Gwinn,William Shipp, John Stoakes,William Pebworth, E. H. Brown,Lawrence Herbert, Harvey Barnes,T. I. Rooke, Lemuel Leary,Calder Sherwood, William Jones,George Collier, John Rhea,Henry Hopkins, William Leary,George Bear, John Wilder,Walter Thornton, Frederick Bowen,Edward Walker, Thomas Dunn.
d Medford. Jno. Bradstreet, Town-clerk. Among the oldest records existing, we have proof of what we have said, as follows:-- The first Monday of February, in the year of our Lord 1677, Goodman John Hall was chosen Constable by the inhabitants of Meadford for the year ensuing. Joseph Wade, John Hall, and Stephen Willis, were chosen Selectmen for ordering of the affairs of the plantation for the year ensuing. John Whitmore, Daniel Woodward, Jacob Chamberlain, John Hall, jun., Edward Walker, Walter Cranston, Patrick Hay, Andrew Mitchell, and Thomas Fillebrown, jun., took the oath of fidelity. Joseph Wade, Town-clerk. This was probably the simple organization of the civil government of Medford soon after our ancestors found themselves planted in their new homes. A more complex form of municipal agencies was not needed; especially as the celebrated Rev. James Noyes preached here a year, and established that church discipline which, in those days, took care of every body
was paying £ 40; Woburn, £ 25; Malden, £ 16; and Charlestown, £ 60. A county-tax of £ 1. 13s. 9d., levied on Meadford, Jan. 17, 1684, was paid by the inhabitants as follows:--  £s.d. Capt. Jonathan Wade064 Capt. Nathaniel Wade043 John Hall033 Caleb Brooks0111 Thomas Willis037 Stephen Willis0110 Peter Tufts, jun.034 Stephen Francis0110 John Whitmore017 Gershom Swan015 Isaac Fox0011 John Bradshor008 Jonathan Tufts0010 Daniel Woodward008 Andrew Mitchell008 Roger Scott007 Edward Walker008 Jacob Chamberlain008 Joseph Baker008    £1158 The excess raised in this tax, over the sum required, was to pay the collector. The valuation of live-stock, for rates in Medford, at this time, were the following: Oxen, four years and upwards, in 1677, £ 3; in 1687, £ 5. Horses, three years and upwards, in 1677, £ 3; in 1687, £ 5. Cows and bulls, four years old, in 1677, £ 2; in 1687, £ 3. Sheep, above one year old, in 1677, 5s. each; in 1687, 8s. Swine, above one ye
William Schouler, A history of Massachusetts in the Civil War: Volume 2, Chapter 10: Middlesex County. (search)
own-clerk in 1861 and 1862 was John Phelps; in 1863, 1864, and 1865, Edward L. Bigelow. The town-treasurer in 1861 was Winslow M. Warren; in 1862, 1863, 1864, and 1865, N. Wetherbee. 1861. A town-meeting was held April 29th. Hollis Loring presented a preamble setting forth in patriotic language the treasonable conduct of the Southern secessionists, and a resolution to support the Government with their lives and fortunes. Hollis Loring, L. E. Wakefield, O. W. Albee, Samuel Boyd, and Edward Walker were appointed to consider and report what action the town should take in the existing crisis. This committee reported that the sum of ten thousand dollars be appropriated as a war fund, to be placed at the disposal of ten citizens, for the aid of the volunteers from that town who had enlisted or might hereafter enlist, and their families. The above-named gentlemen were selected as part of the committee; and M. Fay, William H. Wood, Stephen Morse, Elbridge House, and Francis Brigham we
an Stanley. Joseph Stanley. Jotham Staple. John Stearns. Robert Steward . Samuel Stimson. Amos Stone. David Stone. John Stone. Aaron Swan. George Swan. Stephen Symmes. Amos Taylor. John Tidd. Joseph Trask. Stephen Tucker. Ebenezer Tufts. John Tufts. Jonathan Tufts. Nathan Tufts. Nathaniel Tufts. Samuel Tufts. George Turner. Wait Turner. Elijah Tuttle. Joseph Tuttle. John Vertys. John Vila. Thomas Wait. Edward Walker. Israel Walton. William Warland. Daniel Watson. Isaac Watson. William Watson. Ezra Welch. John Welch. Elijah Weld. Henry Weld. Job Wetherell. Thomas Wheeler. Andrew White. James White. John Whiting. Andrew Whitney. Nathaniel R. Whitney. Oliver Whitney. Timothy Whitney. Francis Whittemore. Nathan Whittemore. Samuel Whittemore, Jr. Thomas Whittemore. James Williams. Nathaniel Williams. Timothy Willison. George Wils
answered by Mr. John Bradshaw, who was a few years prior to this date the owner and landlord of the Royal Oak Tavern. Mr. Bradshaw was landlord of the Admiral Vernon from the year 1744 to about the middle of the year 1750, when he removed back to Medford. He was succeeded by Messrs. William Peirce, William Jones, and others. In the year 1768 Mr. Moses Billings was licensed as an innholder and took charge of the Admiral Vernon, where he remained until the year 1777. In the year 1778, Mr. Edward Walker took charge of this tavern. He was succeeded by Mr. Benjamin Shaw and others. Mr. James Tufts was licensed as an innholder at the Admiral Vernon in the year 1792, and was its landlord from that year to 1800, both inclusive. At the close of Mr. Tufts' term as landlord, this house became a private dwelling, and so continued until it was destroyed by fire in the year 1850. This house is said to have been the headquarters of Colonel John Stark of the New Hampshire Regiment, in the yea
9, 1780, 1781, 1782, 1783, 1784, 1785, 1786. Putnam, Ebenezer, 1813, 1814, 1815, 1816, 1817, 1818, 1821. Rogers, Philip P., 1827. Rookes, Richard, 1703. Scolly, Benjamin, 1738. Seccomb, Peter, 1713, 1717. Shaw, Benjamin, 1780. Skinner, Jacob, 1821, 1822, 1823. Stearns, Charles, 1824, 1825. Stevens, Thomas, 1821. Taylor, Timothy, 1755, 1756, 1757. Turner, John, 1749, 1750, 1751, 1752, 1753. Tufts, James, 1791, 1792, 1793, 1794, 1795, 1796, 1797, 1798, 1799, 1800, 1801. Usher, Abijah, 1795, 1796, 1797. Usher, Eleazer, 1798, 1799. Usher, Robert, 1792, 1793. Wade, Samuel, 1715, 1716, 1717, 1718, 1719, 1722, 1723, 1724. Wait, Darius, 1813, 1814. Walker, Edward, 1778, 1779. Weston, Wyman, 1799, 1800, 1801, 1802, 1803, 1804, 1805. Whitmore, Francis, 1759. Willis, Benjamin, 1720, 1721, 1722, 1723, 1724, 1725, 1726, 1727, 1728, 1729, 1730. Willis, Thomas, 1691, 1692, 1693. Woodward, Daniel, 1690. Wyatt, Samuel, 1819, 1820.
Medford Historical Society Papers, Volume 8., The Whitmores of Medford and some of their descendants. (search)
but his too generous method of dealing embarrassed his affairs, and having with the Rev. Mr. Stone purchased a township on the Kennebec river, he removed thither with his eldest son Stephen. He died April 27, 1794, and his wife died October 20, 1791. William Whitmore, third son of John and Mary Lane Whitmore, was born December 19, 1725. He married Mary Brooks, daughter of Thomas and Mary Brooks, and had six children. The children all died but Mary, born October 25, 1752, who married Mr. Walker of Rindge, New Hampshire. William Whitmore was a graduate of Harvard College, and at one time a schoolmaster, but ill health prevented him from engaging in active pursuits. His death was somewhat peculiar, as he died in consequence of an illness produced by a dread of small pox. His death occurred March 10, 1760, and his widow died October 10, 1765. With him his line of the family name became extinct. When Francis and Mary Hall Whitmore went to Maine, they took with them their eldest
Captain Isaac Hall. by Hall Gleason. [Read before the Medford Historical Society, March 20, 1905.] ISAAC Hall, son of Andrew and Abigail (Walker) Hall, was born at Medford, January 24, 1739, in the house now standing at the corner of High street and Bradlee road. His father died when he was eleven years of age, and he continued to live there with his mother, who took the estate as part of her dower. The estate is described as bounded southerly by the country road, westerly on Henry Fowle's land, easterly on land of Thomas Seacomb and Joseph Thompson. Thompson was a royalist at the time of the revolution and his estate was confiscated by the state and sold to Thomas Patten. The dower estate is also described in a later deed from Benjamin Hall, who acquired the property, to Ebenezer Hall, his brother, who bought of him the estate lately owned by Mrs. Thomas S. Harlow. In this deed the five foot passageway between the houses, as it now exists, is described. Isaac was em
ht coming on space and putting an end to the conflict, the Yankees withdrew from the field. Gens. Rodes and Johnston, accompanied by Wright's brigade, then marched beyond Front Royal, encamped for the night, and next morning proceeded on the march up Luray Valley. I have been unable to procure a list of killed and wounded, which loss fell chiefly on Wright's brigade, readily accounted for by the vastly superior odds against which they had to contend before reinforcements came up. Col. Edward Walker, of the 3d Georgia, was severely wounded in the thigh, and is doing well. The Yankees finding no opposition to obstruct them, took possession of Front Royal Friday morning, Gen. Early being a day's march in the rear, and thus prevented from crossing the river at that point, deemed it prudent to turn to the right at Cedarville, about three miles from Front Royal, and marched down the Valley, striking the Winchester and Staunton turnpike again at Middletown. The whole corps which t
1 2