hide Matching Documents

The documents where this entity occurs most often are shown below. Click on a document to open it.

Document Max. Freq Min. Freq
Emilio, Luis F., History of the Fifty-Fourth Regiment of Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry , 1863-1865 25 1 Browse Search
Southern Historical Society Papers, Volume 15. (ed. Reverend J. William Jones) 1 1 Browse Search
View all matching documents...

Browsing named entities in Emilio, Luis F., History of the Fifty-Fourth Regiment of Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry , 1863-1865. You can also browse the collection for James M. Walton or search for James M. Walton in all documents.

Your search returned 13 results in 11 document sections:

1 2
gorously prosecuted, with measurable success. It was not always an agreeable task, for the rougher element was troublesome and insulting. About fifty or sixty men were recruited at this office, which was closed about the last of March. Lieutenant Appleton then reported to the camp established and took command of Company A, made up of his recruits and others afterward obtained. Early in February quite a number of colored men were recruited in Philadelphia, by Lieut. E. N. Hallowell, James M. Walton, who was subsequently commissioned in the Fifty-fourth, and Robert R. Corson, the Massachusetts State Agent. Recruiting there was attended with much annoyance. The gathering-place had to be kept secret, and the men sent to Massachusetts in small parties to avoid molestation or excitement. Mr. Corson was obliged to purchase railroad tickets himself, and get the recruits one at a time on the cars or under cover of darkness. The men sent and brought from Philadelphia went to form the m
ollowing roster of officers of the Fifty-fourth comprises all those who departed for the field with the regiment on May 28, and their respective rank and assignment at the time.— Colonel,—Robert G. Shaw. Major,—Edward N. Hallowell. Surgeon,—Lincoln R. Stone. Assistant-Surgeon,—Charles B. Bridgham. Adjutant,—Garth W. James. Quartermaster,—John Ritchie. Company A. Capt., John W. M. Appleton. 1st Lieut., Wm. Homans. Company B. Capt., Samuel Willard [Mann]. 1st Lieut., James M. Walton. 2d Lieut., Thomas L. Appleton. Company C. 1st Lieut., James W. Grace. 2d Lieut., Benjamin F. Dexter. Company D. Capt., Edward L. Jones. 1st Lieut., R. H. L. Jewett. Company E. Capt., Luis F. Emilio. 2d Lieut., David Reid. Company F. Capt., Watson W. Bridge. 2d Lieut., Alexander Johnston. Company G. 1st Lieut., Orin E. Smith. 2d Lieut., James A. Pratt. Company H. Capt., Cabot J. Russel. 2d Lieut., Willard Howard. Company I. Capt., George Pope. 1st
bout noon, of orders to move at an hour's notice, taking only blankets and rations. Three hours after, the regiment began to embark, headquarters with seven companies finding transportation on the steamer Chasseur, the remaining ones on the steamer Cossack, with Colonel Montgomery and staff. Lieutenant Littlefield, with a guard of one hundred men, was detailed to remain at St. Helena in charge of the camp. Assistant-Surgeon Bridgham also remained with the sick. Captain Bridge and Lieutenant Walton were unable to go on account of illness. A start was made late in the afternoon in a thunder-storm, the Cossack stopping at Hilton Head to take on Captain Emilio and a detail of ninety men there. The following night was made miserable by wet clothes, a scarcity of water, and the crowded condition of the small steamers. About 1 A. M. on the 9th, the transports arrived off Stono Inlet; the bar was crossed at noon; and anchors were cast off Folly Island. The inlet was full of transp
Emilio, Luis F., History of the Fifty-Fourth Regiment of Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry , 1863-1865, Chapter 7: bombardment of Charleston. (search)
n. A stanch friend of the Fifty-fourth was a visitor in camp about this time, in the person of Albert G. Browne, Esq., the special agent of the Treasury Department, whose headquarters were at Beaufort. His son, Col. Albert G. Browne, Jr., was the military secretary of Governor Andrew, and also one of the regiment's early and tried friends. There had been several promotions in consequence of the action of July 18. Lieutenant Smith was made captain of Company G, but was still North; Lieutenant Walton, captain of Company B, vice Willard, resigned. Second Lieutenants T. L. Appleton, Tucker, Howard, Pratt, and Littlefield were made first lieutenants. These officers were all present except Lieutenant Pratt, who never re-joined. Captain Bridge and Lieutenant Emerson had returned from sick leave. Lieutenants E. G. Tomlinson and Charles G. Chipman, appointed to the regiment, had joined. A number of the wounded had returned from hospital, and the first lot of furloughed men came back
d having arrived with infantry, artillery, etc., on the 8th, at 4 P. M., General Seymour moved toward Baldwin. Much to the regret of all, the Fifty-fourth was ordered to remain behind. Colonel Hallowell was made commandant of Jacksonville. Captain Walton was appointed provost-marshal, with Company B as provost-guard. Company E, with the recruits, joined the regiment on the 9th. Lieutenant-Colonel Hooper, with details by companies, picketed the approaches to the town, holding a line mainly alo occasioned by picket firing and reconnoissances. On the 23d the prize steamers Sumter and Hattie Brock, captured at Deep Creek on the 14th, were brought to Jacksonville. During March, Lieutenant Howard was made adjutant. Captains Jones and Walton re-joined. Lieutenants Chas. Jewett, Jr., and Daniel G. Spear, newly appointed, joined. Assistant-Surgeon Pease went North sick, and never returned. News of a number of promotions came on the 26th. Lieutenant Homans was made captain of Company
e started at the same time as Colonel Hartwell's, and advanced to the lines of the previous year at the head of Grimball's Causeway. Only the gunboat McDonough was ready to co-operate, for the monitors were not on hand. Even during these early hours the troops suffered greatly from the heat, and in moving over Cole's Island several men of the Fifty-fourth fell exhausted, and one dropped senseless. The bridge to James Island was crossed at 6 A. M., bringing us upon familiar ground. Captains Walton and Appleton, of General Schimmelfennig's staff, were greeted as they passed by the officers. Some prisoners were encountered going to the rear under guard. Passing our old camp-ground and bearing to the left, the Seventyfourth Pennsylvania (a German regiment, as was the Fifty-fourth New York) was seen deployed as skirmishers. About a mile and a half from the bridge the low ground was crossed; and Lieutenant-Colonel Hooper deployed the regiment under artillery fire. The line was fo
Thanksgiving Day, November 24, Colonel Hallowell assembled the regiment and conducted proper services. Afterward there were foot and sack races on the beach, Spanish horse, and various sports. In the evening the Shaw Glee Club gave a musical performance in the storehouse of the post quartermaster. Orders were received on the 24th for the Fifty-fourth to be prepared for moving at short notice. When the departure took place, Colonel Hallowell remained in command of Morris Island with Captain Walton and Lieutenant Duren on his staff. Captain Bridge with Company F at Battery Purviance, Lieutenant Newell with Company B at Fort Green, and Lieutenant Edmands with part of Company F at Black Island remained at their posts. Companies C and I at Black Island were relieved by two companies of the Fifty-second Pennsylvania, under Capt. John B. Fisk, and reported at camp to proceed with the regiment. Lieutenant Littlefield was ordered to remain in charge of the camp and sick on Morris Islan
Emilio, Luis F., History of the Fifty-Fourth Regiment of Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry , 1863-1865, Chapter 14: Charleston and Savannah. (search)
ce in quelling the flames, which threatened the total destruction of the city. Major Hennessy was despatched to the arsenal, and Lieutenant-Colonel Bennett with the remainder of his force, which had been increased by the arrival of some of the Third Rhode Island Artillery, moved to the Citadel. Guards were soon sent to public buildings, storehouses, and important points, and the abandoned fire apparatus, manned by negroes, firemen, and soldiers, was put into use, checking the fires. Captain Walton and Lieutenant Newell with Company B, and Captain Bridge with Company F, on the 18th, proceeding from Morris Island in rowboats, reached Charleston after the advance troops under Lieutenant-Colonel Bennett. Being the first considerable body of colored soldiers to arrive, their march through the streets was a continual welcome from crowds of their people of both sexes. Upon reaching the Citadel, officers and men were placed on provost duty. Lieutenant Edmands and his Fifty-fourth men a
am McDermott, newly appointed, reported and ultimately became first lieutenants. Joshua B. Treadwell reported for duty as assistant-surgeon. Colonel Hallowell was brevetted brigadier-general. Major Pope was promoted lieutenant-colonel and Captain Walton, major. Lieutenant Emerson became captain of Company E; Lieutenant James, captain of Company C; Lieutenant Reed, captain of Company K; and Lieutenant Newell, captain of Company B. Lieutenant Cousens, promoted first lieutenant, was afterward mn of Capt. Thomas J. Robinson the Fifty-fourth was discharged August 20. The roster of officers at the time was as follows:— Field and Staff,—Colonel and Brevet Brigadier-General, E. N. Hallowell; Lieutenant-Colonel, George Pope; Major, James M. Walton; Surgeon, Charles E. Briggs; Assistant Surgeon, Joshua B. Treadwell. Captains,—James W. Grace (A), Thomas L. Appleton (G), Charles E. Tucker (H), Willard Howard (I), Charles G. Chipman (D), Garth W. James (C), Lewis Reed (K), Robert R. Ne<
Emilio, Luis F., History of the Fifty-Fourth Regiment of Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry , 1863-1865, Roster of the Fifty-Fourth Massachusetts Infantry. (search)
ymour and Cols. Wm Gurney and James Montgomery. Hartford, Conn. Appleton, John Whittier Messer; Major. 1 Apl 32 Boston; married; clerk; Boston. 2d Lt 7 Feb 63, must. 9 Feb; Capt Co. A 14 Apl 63, must. 21 Apl; Major 18 Jly 63, must. 26 Dec. Resigned 21 Nov 64 account of wounds. Wounded 18 Jly 63 Ft. Wagner. Other service:—Nov Dec 63 Actg. Asst. Inspector General 3d Brig. 10th Army Corps. Major 1st Battalion Mass Hy. Arty 18 Mch 65. Resigned 5 Aug 65. Salt Sulphur Springs, W. Va. Walton, James Morris; Major. 12 Jly 38 Philadelphia; single; lawyer; Philadelphia. 1st Lt 19 Mch 63, must. 28 Mch; Capt 7 Oct 63, must. 19 Nov; Major 11 Jly 65, must. 27 Jly. Discharged 20 Aug 65 ex. term. Other service:—Oct 64 Actg Provost Marshal; Jan Feb 65 Actg A. D. C. No. Dist. Dept. So.; Mch Apl 65 Provost Judge Savannah, Ga.; May 65 Actg Judge Advocate No. Dist. Dept. So. Died 25 May 74 Pittsfield, Mass. Duren, Charles Maltby; 1st Lieut. and Adjutant. 21 Jan 42 Bangor, Me; singl
1 2