le the curriers had to do with the tanning of hides and skins for shoes, etc., the skinners had to do with skins valuable for their fur. Their first charter is dated March 1, 1327-8, and others were received later, but the one under which the company now acts is that of December 2, 1606.
In 1327, the freemen of the craft were limited in their abode to Walbrook, Cornhill, and Bridge Row, which might be designated as the locality of Cannon street near the Mansion House.
In Downegate, or Dowgate Ward, on the street of the same name, stood Skinners' Hall, called Copped Hall, which was destroyed by the Great Fire in 1666.
It was in this locality, in the south wall of St. Swithin's Church, that the London Stone was preserved for centuries.
A letter which Cradock wrote Endicott, in 1628, states it was written from his house in St. Swithin's Lane, near London Stone.
Stowe states, in 1598, This lane is replenished on both the sides with fair built houses.
In 1624, Matthew Cradock