hide Matching Documents

The documents where this entity occurs most often are shown below. Click on a document to open it.

Document Max. Freq Min. Freq
Rebellion Record: a Diary of American Events, Diary from December 17, 1860 - April 30, 1864 (ed. Frank Moore) 12 2 Browse Search
Rebellion Record: a Diary of American Events: Documents and Narratives, Volume 2. (ed. Frank Moore) 8 4 Browse Search
View all matching documents...

Your search returned 20 results in 11 document sections:

1 2
cond, Col. Baker; the Third, Col. Napton; the Fourth, Col. Miller, of New Jersey Troops, with Brigadier-General Runyon and staff, left Bordentown for the seat of war, proceeding down the Delaware, via the Delaware and Chesapeake canal. The troops and stores, are in a fleet of fourteen steam propellers, the W. Woodward, Henry Cadwalader, Octorora, Delaware, Raritan, Trenton, Patroon, F. W. Brune, Elizabeth, Franklin, Farmer, J. B. Molleson, Eureka, and Fanny Gardner.--World, May 4. Union Ward meetings were held to-night throughout Baltimore, Md., and resolutions were adopted to the following purport:-- That we cherish the Constitution and laws of the United States, and will devote our fortunes and lives to defend their integrity against all revolutionary or violent assaults; that we regret the violent attacks on the troops of the United States while peacefully marching through the city to protect the seat of Government, and indignantly repudiate making it a pretext to organize
t 8 80 this morning, in a train of eleven cars. They were escorted through the city by the Fifth Regiment, and nearly the whole population. The train left amid the wildest cheering, and a salute from the artillery.--(Doc. 219.) Ex-Governor Pratt, of Maryland, was arrested this evening at Annapolis, by order of the Government, and taken to the Washington Navy-Yard.--Boston Transcript, May 81. At Acquia Creek, 55 miles below Washington on the Potomac, the U. S. gun-boat Freeborn, Capt. Ward, opened fire about 10 A. M., on the ferry-boat Page, lying at the depot of the Richmond, Fredericksburg, and Potomac Railroad. A second round was fired at the depot building, and a third across the bow of the Page. Three batteries on shore, two in the earthwork, near the depot, and a third from the hill above, immediately opened on the Freeborn, when the gun-boat Anacosta came to her assistance. As soon as the vessels had fixed their range they fired with marked effect. The Anacosta to
to make a speech, but he would say (mounting the stand)--Men of the Fourth Regiment, shall this flag ever trail in the dust? ( No, no! ) Will you defend it as long as you have a right arm? ( We will, and enthusiastic cheers.)--A splendid regimental flag, on behalf of the daughters of Maine, was presented by Mr. J. W. Brookman, and received with appropriate remarks by Colonel Berry.--(Doc. 17.) The Thirty-eighth Regiment New York Volunteers, Second Scott Life Guard, commanded by Colonel J. Hobart Ward, left New York city for the seat of war.--(Doc. 18.) The Secession forces from Romney, Va., burnt the railroad bridge over New Creek, twenty-three miles west of Cumberland, Md., early this morning, and marched to Piedmont, five miles further west, which place they now hold. The telegraph wires east of Piedmont were cut by them. Notice was given of their approach to the town, and the citizens prepared to leave. All the engines belonging to the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad Comp
June 28. The steamer Pawnee arrived at the Navy Yard at Washington this morning, bringing the dead body of Capt. James H. Ward, of the steamer Freeborn, who was killed in an engagement yesterday, while attempting to cover a landing at Matthias Point, on the Potomac River. The Freeborn was off the Point reconnoitring, when Capt. Ward discovered indications of a movement for the erection of a battery at that Point by the rebel soldiers encamped near there. On Wednesday night he sent up to the Pawnee at Acquia creek for Capt. send him a reinforcement of two boats' crews to assist in effecting a landing. Two small cutters' crews were sent down to the Freeborn, under Lieut. Chaplain, and with them a boat's crew from the Freeborn, numbering from thirty to forty men in all. Lieut. Chaplain the next morning effected a landing, and succeeded in driving in the rebel pickets. Finding preparations for the erection of a rebel battery there, it was determined to throw up breastworks a
t New York.--Western Virginia almost unanimously voted in favor of a division of the State.--The funeral of Col. Edward D. Baker, who was killed at the battle of Ball's Bluff, took place at Washington, D. C. The remains were deposited in the congressional burying ground.--Reports were circulated throughout the country that Gen. Banks had been killed and his army slaughtered, that Gen. Sickles' brigade had suffered a similar fate, and that the Confederates had crossed the Potomac, both above and below Washington.--Baltimore American, October 25. This night a skirmish occurred between Gen. Ward's pickets and a scouting party of about one hundred rebels in Green County, to the southwest of Campbellsville, Kentucky. The captain of pickets unfortunately was taken prisoner, but the National forces suffered no other loss, though there were several of the rebels killed and wounded. A Tennesseean who was attached to the Federal forces killed two of them.--Louisville Journal, October 26.
January 20. The Confederate schooner Wilder, from Havana, was captured in Mobile (Ala.) Bay, three miles below Fort Morgan. The schooner, seeing the Union cruiser approach, made for the beach, but had no time to save any thing before the cruiser came within range. The Unionists lowered their launches, boarded the schooner, lowered the colors, and commenced discharging the cargo into their launches within three hundred yards of the beach. Capt. Ward, of the Wilder, says he had set English colors before he left. As regards the fight, he says that the enemy came up in their launches. Some of Capt. William Cottrill's scouts met them and fired a few volleys, but did little or no damage. A despatch was sent to the Captain, who came down at about eight o'clock in the evening with reenforcements, and went into the engagement in good earnest, killing about twenty-five or thirty, that is, all that were in one launch, and some others in another launch. The Unionists fired several
the militia troops stationed there, drove out the Union men, and robbed the stores. Great excitement existed in Louisville, Lexington, Bowling Green, Danville, Frankfort, Covington, and other towns in Kentucky, in anticipation of a visit from the rebel guerrillas under John Morgan. In order to be prepared for such an event, General Boyle, commanding the Union forces at Louisville, issued the following order: It is ordered that every able-bodied man take arms and aid in repelling the marauders. Every man who does not join will remain in his house forty-eight hours, and be shot down if he leaves it. General Ward, commanding at Lexington, issued an order directing that all able-bodied citizens of Lexington and Fayette County are to report themselves at the Court-House Square, in Lexington, forthwith. Those having arms will bring them; those having none will be armed. Murfreesboro, Ky., was captured by the rebel forces under the command of Brig.--General Forrest.--(Doc. 88.)
st. A hundred yards to the right of the house of Mrs. Henry lay five horses in a heap, and near by another heap of as many more. Here a portion of Sherman's battery made its last advance; just as it reached the top of the hill, our riflemen, approaching it in another direction, reached it too. At once they poured in a fire which cut down horses and men, and made the pieces unmanageable. The gallant boys followed the fire with a bayonet charge, and the guns were taken. It was here that Lieut. Ward fell. The cannon were taken and retaken several times in the furious fight; but the horses had been killed, and they could not be removed or used. On the left of Mrs. Henry's, distant about a fourth of a mile, is a neat house belonging to a colored man named Robinson. A cannon-ball drove through this also. Between these two is an orchard of small trees, where Hampton's Legion fought and suffered so severely. Their graves are here. One of them, which covers the remains of a near re
Doc. 18.-Thirty-Eighth New York regiment. The following is a list of the officers of this regiment:-- Field and Staff Officers.--Colonel, J. Hobart Ward; Lieutenant-Colonel, Addison Farnsworth; Major, James D. Potter; Adjutant, William A. Herring; Quartermaster, Charles J. Murphy; Paymaster, Thomas Picton; Sergeant-Major, Wright Banks; Surgeon, Abraham Berry; Surgeon's Mate, Stephen Griswold; Drum-Major, Michael McCarthy; Field-Major, Daniel E. Tylee. Co. A--Captain, Daniel E. Gavitt; Lieutenant, J. H. Coburn. Co. B--Captain, Eugene McGrath; Lieutenant, Alexander Roberts; Ensign, Robert S. Watson. Co. C--Captain, Robert F. Allason; Lieutenant, A. Schaffer; Ensign, A. Fusk. Co. D--Captain, John F. Harrold; Lieutenant, Isaac Jelffe. Co. E--Captain, Oliver A. Tilden; Lieutenant, John Mara. Co. F--Captain, Hugh McQuade; Lieutenant, John M. Cooney Co. G--Captain, George F. Britton; Lieutenant, G. C. Brown. Co. H--Captain, W. H. Baird; Lieutenant, James Bryne. Co. I--Captain, C
Rebellion Record: a Diary of American Events: Documents and Narratives, Volume 2. (ed. Frank Moore), Doc. 55.-the fight at Matthias point. (search)
n which Lieutenant Chaplin and his command escaped utter destruction by a miracle. It becomes my painful duty to announce to the department the death of Commander J. H. Ward, of the Freeborn. He was shot in the abdomen while in the act of sighting his bow gun. I beg leave to call the attention of the department to the gallacomforts in the Freeborn for wounded men, I brought the two wounded men belonging to that vessel, with those two of this ship, with the remains of the late Commander J. H. Ward, to the Navy Yard, Washington, where I now await orders. I must also call the attention of the department to the bravery of John Williams, captain maint Potomac River, June 27, 1861. sir:--I have to report the following casualties resulting from the action at Matthias Point this afternoon: Killed 1.--Commander J. H. Ward, commanding flotilla; gunshot wound of abdomen, almost immediately fatal. Wounded dangerously 2.--1. William J. Best, O. S., belonging to the Pawnee; gu
1 2