unded in the hospitals.
Incorporated May 29, 1655.
Population in 1860, 3,193; in 1865, 3,176.
Valuation in 1860, $1,465,408; in 1865, $1,553,920.
The selectmen in 1861 were Phinehas G. Prescott, William H. Harlow, Willard Torrey; in 1862 and 1863, Eliel Shumway, William H. Harlow, Willard Torrey; in 1864 and 1865, Eliel Shumway, Willard Torrey, George W. Stuart.
The town-clerk during all these years was George D. Brigham.
The town-treasurer during the same period was Alden Warren.
1861. A town-meeting was held April 29th, at which a series of patriotic resolutions were read and adopted, and the citizens pledged their lives, their fortunes, and their sacred honors in defence of the Government and the preservation of the Constitution.
It was voted to aid the families of the volunteers who were already at the front, and of those who would follow, and a sufficient amount of money was voted for that purpose.
A thousand dollars were appropriated to clothe, uniform,