Your search returned 2 results in 1 document
e town for State aid during the war to soldiers' families, and repaid by the Commonwealth, was as follows: In 1861, $316.05; in 1862, $1,456.26; in 1863, $2,130.40; in 1864, $1,743.62; in 1865, $874.13. Total amount, $6,520.46.
Incorporated Nov. 12, 1718.
Population in 1860, 2,276; in 1865, 2,106.
Valuation in 1860, $765,765; in 1865, $973,359.
The selectmen in 1861 were Dwight Hyde, Henry L. Mellen, Calvin Hobbs, J. M. Gibson; in 1862, Dwight Hyde, Henry L. Mellen, Leonard Warren; in 1863, Henry L. Mellen, J. N. Vaughan, A. H. Moulton, William D. Millett, P. W. Hawes; in 1864 and 1865, A. H. Moulton, E. K. Pellet, J. N. Vaughan, J. N. Rogers, J. Hamant.
The town-clerk in 1861 and 1862 was Washington Tufts; in 1863 and 1864, Charles H. Fales; in 1865, Henry S. Crosby.
The town-treasurer during all these years was Alonzo Upham.
1861. The first legal town-meeting to act upon matters in regard to the war was held on the 30th of April, at which it was voted th