Your search returned 14 results in 7 document sections:

n, at the foot of South Mountain, in Adams county, this morning, in a considerable force. They have been driven back from the Potomac, and are trying to escape. Every effort is being made to cut them off here and at Mercersburg; but they have a man named Logan, from Franklin county, with them, and as he is a superior guide they may escape. All our citizens have arms, and will join the troops in cutting the rebels off. The affair to be Investigated at Washington. A dispatch from Washington evidences an intense mortification felt there at the successful escape of Stuart. It says: It is said that the failure to arrest the escape of J. E. B. Stuart and his bold rebel cavalry, in their dash through Pennsylvania to Maryland, is attributed to the division commander at Poolesville, to whom instructions had been sent by Gen. McClellan, stating that Stuart would probably retreat up on the line which he subsequently pursued, and suggested a disposition of the forces which would
etween Annapolis, Maryland, and Aiken's Landing, on James river, taking rebels down and bringing released Union soldiers back. Prisoners to be held till the end of the war. The Baltimore American notices the arrival in that city of the following Confederate prisoners, of whom it says: By order of General Sheridan, they are not to be exchanged during the war, being considered of the worst character: T. M. King, Seventh; James Riderwell, Thirty-firth; Herbert Alexander and James Washington, Twelfth; Z. Anderson, Eighteenth; C. S. Lerett, S. C. Morland and John Coster, Eleventh; G. M. Kenny, Sixth, and T. W. Dear, of the Forty-Third Virginia cavalry; J. Brigg and Hoffman Gilmor, (brother of the noted guerrilla chief,) Second Maryland cavalry; John M. Rafter, J. D. Lynn, Wm. Harkness, James McNeal, R. P. Tubb, of McNeil's Independent Rangers; and J. Tavener, citizen. They are to be kept in confinement, and receive nothing but the army ration, which is more than an ordinary
y West. The Baltimore American of Friday evening says: The notorious rebel guerrilla, Marry Gilmor, who arrived here at a late hour on Wednesday night, yesterday left here for Fort Warren, in charge of Major Young and three Federal scouts in rebels clothes. Captain Wiegel learned that Gilmor's life was endangered at the Relay House, when he proceeded to that post with an armed guard and protected him from danger. United States Marshal Murray, in obedience to the instructions from Washington, left New York for Montreal, to take charge of twelve of the St. Albans raiders, who will be delivered to him there, and brought to New York by him for trial. Captain J. M. Gillis, superintendent of the naval observatory in Washington, died suddenly of apoplexy on Thursday, aged about fifty-three years. Admiral Porter has made over the prize money due him for the capture of the ram Albemarle by a force under him to Lieutenant Cushing. General James S. Negley has resigned.
Arrests. --The following arrests were made by the police yesterday: Thomas Field, (negro,) for stealing iron from the ruins of the old Columbian Hotel, on Cary street. George W. Duncan, for fighting in the market with James Wilkinson, and James Wilkinson for retaliating upon George W. Duncan. James Carshin, for assaulting and knocking down a citizen; Colin Lee, (negro,) for throwing a piece of iron and striking a little girl. Mary Jane Coleman and Mary Sykes, (negroes,) for disorderly conduct and making a disturbance in the streets; and R. Thompson, of Hanover, for uproarious conduct in public while under the influence of liquor. The following arrests were registered at the upper station-house: James Washington, (negro,) for stealing iron from J. A. Belvin, and Anderson Edwards, for fighting on Broad street, near the Fredericksburg depot, with a negro named D. Green.
Provost Judge's Court. --Judge McEntee's attention was directed to the following cases yesterday: John Van Buskirk and C. Hartley, of the Eleventh United States infantry, were sent to Castle Thunder for twenty days to atone for the offence of drunkenness and being in the city without a pass. Thomas McDonald, of the Twenty-fourth Massachusetts, charged with stealing a vest, was found guilty and sentenced to sixty days imprisonment in Castle Thunder. A negro, named James Washington, who plead guilty to the charge of stealing old iron, was sent to Castle Thunder for thirty days. Anderson Edwards and David Green, two little negroes, charged with fighting in the street, were discharged after twenty-four hours confinement. Sam Williams, a negro, was sent to Castle Thunder for fifteen days for breaking window glass. Samuel Hucks, a negro, was sentenced to fifteen days confinement in Castle Thunder for being drunk and disorderly in the street. William W
Resisting an officer. --A negro by the name of James Washington was taken into custody by policeman Harper, charged with resisting an officer in discharge of his duty and threatening violence.
or sixty days. Joseph Barker was up on a charge of interfering with an officer in the discharge of his duty. He was released. Jordan Winston, negro, was charged with carrying concealed weapons, found guilty and sent to Castle Thunder for sixty days. John C. Fry, negro, charged with assaulting Rebecca Jones, was found not guilty and discharged. Frank Hall, negro, was arraigned on a charge of petit larceny, found guilty and sent to Castle Thunder for thirty days. James Washington, negro, was found guilty of resisting a policeman in the discharged of his duty, and sent to the Castle for fifteen days. Jordan Winston, negro, was charged with carrying concealed weapons, and sent to Castle Thunder for sixty days. George Washington was charged with being disorderly in the street, and was found not guilty and discharged. John Lewis, negro, was charged with the same offence, found guilty and sent to Castle Thunder for ten days. Samuel Pleasants, negr