Browsing named entities in Rebellion Record: a Diary of American Events: Documents and Narratives, Volume 4. (ed. Frank Moore). You can also browse the collection for William Watson or search for William Watson in all documents.

Your search returned 4 results in 2 document sections:

Rebellion Record: a Diary of American Events: Documents and Narratives, Volume 4. (ed. Frank Moore), Doc. 82.-fight in Hampton roads, Va., March 8th and 9th, 1862. (search)
fired by the Merrimac, He reports the death of the following officers: Lieut. Joseph B. Smith, Acting Master Thomas Moore, and Pilot Wm. Rhodes. Report of Captain Watson. United States steamer Dragon, March 8, 1862. At six P. M., went alongside of the Roanoke, and was ordered to get up a big head of steam, and go on thrtly after received orders to get bags and hammocks on board of the Whitehall. The following is a list of officers at the time: Acting Master Commanding.--Wm. Watson. First Engineer.--Wm. A. Seward. Second Engineer.--Thomas Jordan. Master's Mate.--Wm. Bowdin. Quartermaster.--Ben. S. Hungerford. Steward.--Jeferine Banditche. Six firemen and ten seamen. Wm. Watson, Captain. G. V. Fox's despatch. Fortress Monroe, March 9, 6.45 P. M. Gideon Wells, Secretary of the Navy: The Monitor arrived at ten P. M., yesterday, and went immediately to the protection of the Minnesota, lying aground just opposite Newport News. At seven A. M
gn was plain. The rebels had abandoned the idea of forcing their way through our left, and now the manifest attempt was to turn our right. Batteries were ordered up — Thompson's and Thurber's — and the whole column was shelled as it passed. The rebels rapidly threw their artillery into position, and a brisk cannonading began. After a time, while the fight still rested with the artillery, the rebels opened a new and destructive battery to the right, which our men soon learned to know as Watson's Louisiana battery, from the marks on the ammunition-boxes they forced it from time to time to leave behind. Batteries, with a brigade of supporting infantry, were now moved forward over open fields under heavy fire, to contend against this new assailant the batteries opened, the sharpshooters were thrown out to the front to pick off the rebel artillerists, the brigade was ordered down on its face to protect it from the flying shell and grape. For an hour and a half the contest lasted,