hide Matching Documents

The documents where this entity occurs most often are shown below. Click on a document to open it.

Document Max. Freq Min. Freq
Medford Historical Society Papers, Volume 4. 7 1 Browse Search
View all matching documents...

Your search returned 7 results in 3 document sections:

Medford Historical Society Papers, Volume 4., First Universalist Society in Medford. (search)
Mrs. James Tufts. Charles S. Jacobs. Miss R. Turner. Miss Betsey Keen. Miss N. Tufts. Mrs. H. Mitchell. In after years these names may be of considerable interest to those looking up church history. Mr. Stetson served as superintendent for one year. In June, 1839, Mr. James O. Curtis was again chosen superintendent, and was elected annually from that time until April, 1857, thus serving eighteen consecutive years. Mrs. Cotting was elected for three consecutive years. Mrs. Lusanna Wellington was elected assistant superintendent in March, 1842, and annually elected to that position for nineteen years. Rev. James M. Usher was elected superintendent, April, 1857, and served until August, 1859, when Elisha Stetson was chosen for the remaining part of the year. In April, 1860, Mr. Parker R. Litchfield was elected superintendent, and served in that office for thirty-five consecutive years. At the annual meeting in April, 1895, Mr. T. Howard Barnes was elected superintenden
Medford Historical Society Papers, Volume 4., Medford Historical Society. (search)
llison M. Stickney, Mrs. Allison M. Stone, Miss Katherine H. Street, John D. Street, Miss Mary B. Sturtevant, James S. Deceased.Swan, Charles H. Swift, Miss Caroline E. Symmes, Amelia M. Symmes, Arthur C. Tay, Mrs. Anna J. Teele, Edward W. Thompson, Abijah. Thompson, Mrs. Susan B. Thompson, William A. Tucker, Charles D. Tufts, James W. Wait, William Gushing. Wait, Francis A. Wait, Miss Hetty F. Wait, Miss Sarah H. Washburn, Miss M. L. Weitz, Herbert A. Wellington, Mrs. H. E. Wheeler, Joseph H. Deceased.Whitmore, William H. Wilber, Nahum E. Wilber, Mortimer E. Wilcox, Miss E. J. Wilcox, Miss Martha C. Wild, Miss Helen T. Winkley, William H. Williams, Lombard. Withington, Henry. Wood, Joseph W. Woolley, Fred H. C. Wright, Thomas. Life Members.Wright, Walter C. Honorary members M. E. Chandler. Deceased.Hon. T. S. Harlow. Mrs. Geo. L. Stearns. Charles Cummings.
Old Ship street. Some of its houses, ships, and characters. by Fred. H. C. Woolley. [Read before Medford Historical Society, May 20, 1901.] STRETCHING southeastward from Medford square to Wellington farmhouse, shaded in part by buttonwoods, grass-edged, irregular, and rough, keeping in sight the river, in the early years of 1800 was a road known as the Town road or River road. The section of this road from the river landing opposite the foot of Cross street to Wellington was probably maWellington was probably made to accommodate the two brick houses, then the only buildings in this part of Medford, with the exception of the Wellington farmhouse, built 1648-165 2. One of these was at the eastern end of Governor Cradock's plantation, called the Old Fort, built in 1634, and the other about five hundred feet north of this road at a point opposite the first shipyard. In 1746 the section from the market (Medford square) to the tide-mill (near Cross street) was opened. When Thatcher Magoun, of Pembroke, M