hide Matching Documents

The documents where this entity occurs most often are shown below. Click on a document to open it.

Document Max. Freq Min. Freq
The Cambridge of eighteen hundred and ninety-six: a picture of the city and its industries fifty years after its incorporation (ed. Arthur Gilman) 9 1 Browse Search
View all matching documents...

Your search returned 9 results in 4 document sections:

e on magnetism and one on electricity. Professor Winthrop assisted at certain astronomical events; made interesting observations on the earthquake which visited Cambridge in 1755, and which was sufficiently powerful to throw bricks from a chimney of the professor's house across the pathway. He was elected member of the Royal Society of London. Count Rumford, then Benjamin Thompson, it is said, walked from Woburn to Cambridge to hear Professor Winthrop lecture. After Winthrop came Rev. Mr. Williams; then Professor Farrar, a remarkable lecturer. Up to the year 1830, astronomy and physics were the only sciences to which much attention was paid in Cambridge. There were no laboratories even in chemistry. In 1816, Dr. Jacob Bigelow was appointed Rumford professor and lecturer on the application of science to the useful arts. He was perhaps the earliest citizen of Massachusetts to recognize the importance of scientific training for young men who proposed to enter into the profess
ort which lies between the Grand Junction Railroad, Windsor Street, and the Broad Canal. The number of the parishioners continued to increase so rapidly that the church on Fourth Street could not sufficiently accommodate them, and in 1872 Bishop Williams, the successor of Bishop Fitzpatrick, bought a lot of land on Spring Street for the purpose of erecting a new church, but the health of Father Donohue did not permit him to pursue the work, and he died on March 5, 1873. During the eleven ye it was delayed until the bishop gave permission to Father Dougherty, of St. Peter's, to go on with the work. He organized the new parish early in 1866, commenced to lay the foundation of a church on June 7, and the corner-stone was laid by Bishop Williams July 15 of that year. Father Dougherty performed the duties of pastor of this church and congregation, together with those of his own, until May, 1867, when the parish was given to the Rev. T. Scully, who took formal charge June 9, 1867. T
and fixtures, and the lease of the banking-room. On account of the pressure of other interests President Sortwell resigned before the company opened for business. Mr. Henry White was elected president; Joseph B. Russell, vice-president; and Louis W. Cutting, treasurer, on September 20, 1892. The board of directors consisted of J. Q. Bennett, O. H. Durrell, J. M. W. Hall, Gardiner M. Lane, William Taggard Piper, Alvin F. Sortwell, E. D. Leavitt, Nathaniel C. Nash, Joseph B. Russell, Moses Williams, and Henry White. President White resigned in June, 1894, on account of absence in Europe, and Joseph B. Russell was elected in his place, and Alvin F. Sortwell was elected vice-president. The changes in board of directors have been as follows: William J. Underwood in place of J. M. W. Hall, resigned; J. H. Hubbard in place of O. H. Durrell, resigned; H. O. Underwood in place of William J. Underwood, resigned; and William E. Russell and Herbert H. White added to the number. The to
ghts and Measures, Sealer of, 405. West Boston Bridge, 29, 495. West Cambridge, 9, 16. West Dock Canal, 30. West End, 3. Western Avenue Bridge, 29. West Field, 4. Wethersfield, Conn., founded, 6. Whalley, the regicide, 11. Wharton, Francis, 68. White, Daniel, Charity, 277, 320. Whitefield, George, preaches on the Common, 13, 48; a friend to the college, 236. Whitefield tree, 48. Willard, Emery, the village strong man, 40. William H. Smart Post 30, 288. Williams, Rev. Mr., 73. Willson, Forceythe, 68. Wilson, John, Sr., 334. Wilson, Rev. John, election speech of, 7, 48. Windmill Hill, 3. Windsor, Conn., founded, 6. Winlock, Professor, 75. Winship, Mrs. Joanna, tomb of, 189. Winthrop, John, 1, 2, 7, 47. Winthrop, Prof. John, 72, 73. Winthrop Square, 5. Wires, Inspectors of, and Superintendent of Lamps, 404. Witchcraft, 11, 12. Wollaston, Mount, Thomas Hooker's company settle at, 6, 233. Wolves, bounties for,