hide Matching Documents

The documents where this entity occurs most often are shown below. Click on a document to open it.

Document Max. Freq Min. Freq
Harper's Encyclopedia of United States History (ed. Benson Lossing) 2 0 Browse Search
View all matching documents...

Your search returned 2 results in 1 document section:

Harper's Encyclopedia of United States History (ed. Benson Lossing), Trinity Church. (search)
Trinity Church. The first Episcopal church organized in the province of New York was called in its charter (1697) The parish of Trinity Church. The wardens and vestrymen first chosen included several members of the King's council. The following are the names of the first officers of the church: Bishop of London, rector; Thomas Wenham and Robert Lurting, wardens; Caleb Heathcote, William Merret, John Tudor, James Emott, William Morris, Thomas Clarke, Ebenezer Wilson, Samuel Burt, James Evets, Nathaniel Marston, Michael Howden, John Crooke, William Sharpas, Lawrence Read, David Jamison, William Hudleston, Gabriel Ludlow, Thomas Burroughs, John Merret, and William Janeway, vestrymen. In 1705 a tract of land known as The Queen's farm extended (on the west side of Broadway) from St. Paul's Chapel (Vesey Street and Broadway) along the river to Skinner Road, now Christopher Street. This farm was then totally unproductive. Money was collected for the building of the church. It was