Browsing named entities in Rebellion Record: a Diary of American Events, Diary from December 17, 1860 - April 30, 1864 (ed. Frank Moore). You can also browse the collection for 13th or search for 13th in all documents.

Your search returned 10 results in 10 document sections:

fully repel the other. The order is accompanied by other similar ones, necessary to carry it into effect. The alarm signal for the assembling of the city troops will be first a fire alarm, and secondly after an interval of one minute, six taps of the bell, to be repeated four times with intervals.--New Orleans Picayune, April 23. It is now learned by the return of the expedition to relieve Sumter, that a plan was perfected to throw in 300 men and supplies by boats at daylight on the 13th. This was frustrated, however, by the Baltic running upon Rattlesnake shoal on the night of the 12th.--World, April 19. Maryland, Delaware, and Pennsylvania, were added to the Military Department of Washington.--(Doc. 68.)--Times, April 25. A positive announcement that General Scott had resigned his position in the army of the United States and tendered his sword to his native State--Virginia, was made at Montgomery. At Mobile, one hundred guns were fired in honor of his resignati
extended line, with his right resting on Dover; while the command of Gen. Smith formed the left, his left extending to the creek on the north of the Fort. The night of the twelfth was spent quietly; and on the following day, also, but little was attempted by the army, in consequence of the non-arrival of the gunboats, and the reenforcements which had been sent from Cairo by water. The gunboat Carondelet, however, under direction of Gen. Grant, approached the Fort, on the morning of the thirteenth, and, after two hours steady fire, during which she expended nearly two hundred shots, she was compelled to withdraw from the action to repair damages. The gunboats St. Louis, Pittsburgh, Louisville, and Conestoga, with sixteen transports and about ten thousand fresh troops, having arrived at the place of rendezvous, preparations were made for attacking the enemy's works; and at two o'clock on the fourteenth, the St. Louis, Louisville, Pittsburgh, and Carondelet, forming a single line i
greatest value. The rebels abandoned their works so hurriedly as to leave all the baggage of the officers, and knapsacks of the men, behind. Their dead were unburied. Their suppers were on their tables, and their candles were burning in their tents. The operations of Gen. Pope's army, which led to the evacuation, were as follows: A heavy battery was established during the night of the twelfth inst., within eight hundred yards of the enemy's works, and opened fire at daylight on the thirteenth inst. During the whole day the National lines were drawn closer around the works of the enemy, under a furious fire of sixty pieces of artillery, and the fear of an assault upon their works at daylight induced them to flee during the night. Many prisoners were taken, and the colors of several Arkansas regiments. The National loss during the siege was about fifty killed and wounded.--(Doc. 93.) Gen. Mcclellan issued a brief, spirited, and most telling address to the Army of the Potomac.
June 15. The rebel General J. E. B. Stuart, with a cavalry force, left the rebel lines near Richmond, Va., on the thirteenth, and rode through the lines of the right wing of the Union army in front of Richmond to Garlick's Landing, Pamunkey River, where he burned two schooners. Thence to Tunstall's station, where he fired into, but failed to capture, a railroad train; thence rode around the left wing of the Union army, and into Richmond again to-day.--(Doc. 67.) Lieutenant commanding Howell, in the Union gunboat Tahoma, accompanied by Lieut. Commanding English, in the Somerset, crossed the bar of Saint Mark's River, Florida, and drove out a company of rebel artillery, with four or five field-pieces, from a fort near the lighthouse on that river, afterwards landing and burning the fort with the buildings used as barracks.--Official Report.
izing Jeff Davis to call into the military service, for three years or during the war, all white male citizens of the rebel States, between the ages of eighteen and forty-five years. Such persons to serve their full term; no one being entitled to a discharge because he might have passed the age of forty-five before such term of service expired. An expedition consisting of the United States gunboats Paul Jones, Cimerone, and three other steam vessels, left Port Royal, S. C., on the thirteenth instant, and proceeded to the Saint John's River, Florida, where they arrived to-day. They immediately attacked the rebel batteries, and, after a few hours' shelling, succeeded in dismounting most of their guns, greatly damaging their breastworks, and completely silencing them. Cumberland Gap, Tenn., was evacuated by the National forces under the command of Gen. George W. Morgan.--(See Supplement.) In consequence of the reported approach of the rebel army under General E. Kirby Smit
patch of this date published a letter purporting to be from a nephew of Secretary Seward.--See Supplement. The combined rebel armies under Generals Bragg and E. Kirby Smith, reached Tennessee on their retreat from Kentucky this day. A correspondent, who accompanied the army, thus writes to the Sun, a rebel paper at Columbia, Tenn.: The combined armies of Generals Bragg and Kirby Smith, including the forces of McCown, Stephenson, and Marshall, began their retrograde movement on the thirteenth instant, from Dick's River, not far distant from Harrodsburgh, Ky., General Bragg's force leading and passing out of the State ahead of General Smith. Many of the men are worn out with almost constant marching, by day and by night, pinched a great portion of the time by hunger and thirst, and having to subsist a good portion of the time on parched corn, pumpkins, etc., and drinking frequently water from holes. How different the feelings of officers and men of these armies now, compared with
were unexpected. I found the gaps, through which I intended to return, strongly guarded with artillery and infantry, and blockaded with fallen timber. A force was also following in our rear. I determined to cross at Smith's Gap, which I did. Chambersburgh, Pa., was reoccupied by the rebels, under General Rodes; and the National troops, commanded by General Knipe, retreated to the main body. The rebel sloop, John Wesley, which had evaded the blockade of St. Mark's, Fla., on the thirteenth, was captured by the Union steamer Circassian.--the Fifth regiment of Massachusetts volunteers, whose term of service had expired, arrived at Fortress Monroe, from Newbern, N. C., and again volunteered their services to General Dix.--the Union gunboat Sumter was sunk off Cape Henry.--several wagons, with ammunition, forage, and other articles belonging to the National troops, were destroyed by a party from Mosby's rebel cavalry, on the Chantill road, near Bull Run, Va.--the sloop Kate, fro
that I am in favor of reconstruction, was received this evening. I can conceive of no extremity to which my country could be reduced in which I would for a single moment entertain any proposition for any union with the North on any terms whatever. When all else is lost, I prefer to unite with the thousands of our own countrymen who have found honorable deaths, if not graves, on the battle-field. Use this letter as you please. The rebel steamer Nita, having sailed from Havana, on the thirteenth, was captured by the Union steamer De Soto, in lat. 29° 45′, long. 86° 40′, while attempting to violate the blockade.--the Fourth Massachusetts and Twenty-eighth Maine regiments passed through Buffalo, New York, en route for home.--an order, regulating the discharge of prisoners, was issued from the War Department. Captain Wm. S. Hotchkiss, commander of the Union gunboat General Putnam, was killed while engaged in an expedition up the Piankatank River, Va., by a party of guerr
e Shell Mound, and burned the railroad bridge over the Nicojack, destroying for the time all communication between the rebels at Chattanooga and those in the vicinity of Bridgeport, Ala.--A riot occurred at Danville, Ill., in which three citizens were killed and a number wounded.--the schooner Wave, having run the blockade at San Luis Pass, near Galveston, Texas, was captured by the National gunboat Cayuga. The expedition to Central Mississippi, which left La Grange, Tenn., on the thirteenth instant, returned this day, having met with the greatest success. The force consisted of detachments of the Third Michigan, Second Iowa, Eleventh Illinois, Third Illinois, Fourth Illinois, and Ninth Illinois cavalry, and a part of the Ninth Illinois mounted infantry, all under the command of Lieutenant-Colonel Phillips, of the Ninth Illinois infantry. They left the line of the Memphis and Charleston Railroad, and proceeded by different routes to Oxford, Miss., where the force united and move
Unionists lost two men killed and four wounded. The enemy lost six killed, eleven wounded, and two prisoners, among whom was a Lieutenant Skinner, of the Twenty-sixth Tennessee cavalry, who stated that the strength of his regiment was two hundred and fifty, and that Brigadier-General Majors, with a body-guard of thirty men from a Louisiana cavalry regiment, was near, but did not take part in the charge; that his regiment had crossed Black River near Trinity City, La., on the evening of the thirteenth, to charge on Vidalia for the purpose of burning down the pontoon train; that besides his regiment there were two Texas cavalry regiments, under command of Colonels Stone and Lane, at Black River, seventeen miles distant, and also one Louisiana and one Arkansas cavalry regiment, all under command of Brigadier-General Majors. Colonel Farrar, who had sent notice to Natchez about the attack, at once prepared to have his men mounted to follow up the enemy as quick as reenforcements came. At a