hide Matching Documents

The documents where this entity occurs most often are shown below. Click on a document to open it.

Document Max. Freq Min. Freq
Southern Historical Society Papers, Volume 30. (ed. Reverend J. William Jones) 135 1 Browse Search
Southern Historical Society Papers, Volume 35. (ed. Reverend J. William Jones) 117 5 Browse Search
Southern Historical Society Papers, Volume 22. (ed. Reverend J. William Jones) 63 1 Browse Search
Historic leaves, volume 1, April, 1902 - January, 1903 59 1 Browse Search
Horace Greeley, The American Conflict: A History of the Great Rebellion in the United States of America, 1860-65: its Causes, Incidents, and Results: Intended to exhibit especially its moral and political phases with the drift and progress of American opinion respecting human slavery from 1776 to the close of the War for the Union. Volume I. 53 9 Browse Search
Caroline E. Whitcomb, History of the Second Massachusetts Battery of Light Artillery (Nims' Battery): 1861-1865, compiled from records of the Rebellion, official reports, diaries and rosters 50 0 Browse Search
Capt. Calvin D. Cowles , 23d U. S. Infantry, Major George B. Davis , U. S. Army, Leslie J. Perry, Joseph W. Kirkley, The Official Military Atlas of the Civil War 38 0 Browse Search
Southern Historical Society Papers, Volume 16. (ed. Reverend J. William Jones) 33 13 Browse Search
Southern Historical Society Papers, Volume 33. (ed. Reverend J. William Jones) 23 3 Browse Search
John F. Hume, The abolitionists together with personal memories of the struggle for human rights 22 0 Browse Search
View all matching documents...

Browsing named entities in Rebellion Record: a Diary of American Events, Diary from December 17, 1860 - April 30, 1864 (ed. Frank Moore). You can also browse the collection for James or search for James in all documents.

Your search returned 7 results in 7 document sections:

red by being exposed to the weather.--Baltimore Clipper, May 14. Judge Giles, of Baltimore, having issued a writ of habeas corpus, directing the delivery of a soldier at Fort McHenry, Major Morris, the commander at that post, refused to obey the writ, and gave his reasons in a published letter.--N. Y. Evening Post, May 14.--(Doc. 160.) Early this morning the steamer Pawnee was moored off the city of Alexandria, Va., so that her guns and mortars command the town. She has several of James's rifled cannon on board, which will throw grape, shell, hot shot or solid into any part of the town, and far beyond into the camp of an army that may be so imprudent as to pitch their tents in the suburbs of the city.--N. Y. Herald, May 14. The Virginia Union Convention assembled at Wheeling, and organized, with Dr. J. W. Moss in the chair.--N. Y. Herald, May 14. Senator Bayard, of Delaware, issued an address to his constituents, called forth by the denunciations against him on hi
ing its effectiveness in the least. It differs in many respects from the field telegraph used by Louis Napoleon in the Italian war, and embraces many advantages of convenient and certain operation under any possible circumstances over that (Louis Napoleon's) which contributed so signally to the success of the French arms.--Baltimore American, June 22. The Second Rhode Island Regiment, Col. Slocum, accompanied by the Providence Marine Artillery Corps, with a full battery (six pieces) of James's rifled cannon, arrived at New York, on their way to Washington. Governor Sprague and a portion of his staff, including Colonels Goddard and Gardner, and two others, accompanied them.--(Doc. 23.) This evening while the United States steamer Colorado was at sea, a break occurred in the after standard supporting the reversing shaft to the propeller. It had broken midway, and at a point where a triangular shaped piece had been sawed out of the rib, and a nicely fitted piece of soft wrou
r. Ormond F. Nims' battery of light artillery left Boston for the seat of war. The company departed from their camp at Quincy at 7 1/2 o'clock last evening, and, marching through South Boston, reached the Providence depot at 11 1/4 o'clock. An hour and a half was occupied in getting their guns, horses, and carriages on the cars. The battery consists of six rifled 6-pounders, and besides the regular caissons it has baggage wagons, forges, magazines, etc. Six hundred Schenckl's shell and James's projectile were sent from the State Arsenal for the use of the battery. The United States Marshal, at Boston, Mass., arrested a person who registered himself at the Parker House as C. Jordan, Pittsburg, Pa., but who subsequently has confessed himself as John Williams, of Norfolk, Va., and was supposed to hold a commission in the rebel army. He was arrested as a spy, and by orders received from the Secretary of War, was sent to Fort Lafayette, New York harbor.--N. Y. Tribune, August 1
dherence to the Government were adopted, and a committee appointed for the purpose, drew up a paper which was accepted by the convention as a statement of grievances.--(Doc. 77.) Capt. P. G. D. Morton, captured at Chelsea, Butler County, Kansas, a train of twenty-one wagons, four hundred and twenty-five cattle, twenty-five ponies, and thirty-five prisoners. The train was on its way from Pike's Peak to the Cherokees, who seceded some weeks ago.--N. Y. Times, October 26. Eighty of Major James' cavalry, at Cameron, came upon two hundred and fifty or three hundred rebels, in a cornfield, twenty miles south of Cameron, in Ray County, Missouri. The advance guard of nine of the National troops routed them, the rebels seeking refuge in the timber. The guard was then reinforced by thirty of the cavalry, when they completely drove the rebels from that section, killing eight and taking five prisoners. Four Federals were wounded and one killed. The steamer Theodora ran the block
ney which he had collected for taxes, but he having disposed of it, they got none. They took the two clerks to the jail, in a room of which was the Clerk's office, and forced the Clerk of the Circuit Court to deliver such indictments as Joe Thompson wanted. They took from some of the stores such goods as suited them, amounting to hundreds of dollars, pressed a wagon, and then loaded it and drove it off, forced the people to deliver their money, furnish them supper, etc. About night some four hundred joined them, also taking supper. After dark they left, taking off one prisoner. They were followed by a party of the Ninth Pennsylvania cavalry, under Lieutenant-Colonel James, who overtook them, killing twenty-seven and capturing thirty-nine, thirty of whom were wounded.--Louisville Journal. An attempt to capture the steam-tug Achilles, lying off Harrison's Landing, on the James River, Va., was made by a party of rebels from the south side of the river, but they were driven off.
ebel soldiers in disguise, harbored and concealed by citizens residing on the route of the Orange and Alexandria Railroad, orders were issued by General Halleck authorizing the arrest of every citizen against whom there was sufficient evidence of his having been engaged in these practices.--A skirmish took place at St. Catherine's Creek, near Natchez, Miss., between a party of rebels belonging to the command of General Logan, and the Seventy-second Illinois regiment, under the command of Captain James, in which the former were routed with a loss of fifty prisoners and seventy-five horses.--A force of rebels, numbering about two thousand, under the command of General Pegram, made an attack upon the National troops at Paris, Ky., and after a severe engagement, lasting over two hours, were repulsed and routed.--the Eighth regiment of Massachusetts volunteers returned to Boston from the seat of war.--Brigadier-General Innis N. Palmer was ordered to the command of the Eighteenth army corps
December 24. Yesterday a foraging party was sent out from the Union camp at Tullahoma, Tenn., under the command of Lieutenant Porter, of the Twenty-seventh Indiana volunteer infantry. There was a guard of the Fourth Tennessee cavalry, and a detail from the battery, to guard and load forage. They went to Lincoln County, loaded up, and were on the way to camp for the night. The train was divided--one half under Sergeant James, of the battery, was in camp about one mile ahead; Lieutenant Porter, with the rear part of the train, was on his way to the same place. There was one wagon considerably ahead of the others, accompanied by George Jacobs, driver; John Wesley Drought and Newell Orcutt, foragers; and James W. Foley, battery wagon-master — when they were surprised by four guerrillas, and told to surrender or they would blow their brains out. They being unarmed, could make no successful resistance. Lieutenant Porter then came riding up, when he was seized also. They were the