hide Matching Documents

The documents where this entity occurs most often are shown below. Click on a document to open it.

Document Max. Freq Min. Freq
Frederick H. Dyer, Compendium of the War of the Rebellion: Regimental Histories 340 340 Browse Search
William Tecumseh Sherman, Memoirs of General William T. Sherman . 202 4 Browse Search
Rebellion Record: a Diary of American Events, Diary from December 17, 1860 - April 30, 1864 (ed. Frank Moore) 177 51 Browse Search
George P. Rowell and Company's American Newspaper Directory, containing accurate lists of all the newspapers and periodicals published in the United States and territories, and the dominion of Canada, and British Colonies of North America., together with a description of the towns and cities in which they are published. (ed. George P. Rowell and company) 142 2 Browse Search
Benson J. Lossing, Pictorial Field Book of the Civil War. Volume 2. 131 1 Browse Search
Horace Greeley, The American Conflict: A History of the Great Rebellion in the United States of America, 1860-65: its Causes, Incidents, and Results: Intended to exhibit especially its moral and political phases with the drift and progress of American opinion respecting human slavery from 1776 to the close of the War for the Union. Volume I. 130 0 Browse Search
Robert Underwood Johnson, Clarence Clough Buell, Battles and Leaders of the Civil War: The Opening Battles. Volume 1. 128 0 Browse Search
Ulysses S. Grant, Personal Memoirs of U. S. Grant 89 1 Browse Search
Benson J. Lossing, Pictorial Field Book of the Civil War. Volume 1. 82 0 Browse Search
Rebellion Record: a Diary of American Events: Documents and Narratives, Volume 2. (ed. Frank Moore) 73 5 Browse Search
View all matching documents...

Browsing named entities in Rebellion Record: a Diary of American Events, Diary from December 17, 1860 - April 30, 1864 (ed. Frank Moore). You can also browse the collection for St. Louis (Missouri, United States) or search for St. Louis (Missouri, United States) in all documents.

Your search returned 114 results in 92 document sections:

1 2 3 4 5 6 ...
at headquarters at Washington. Before the train reached Harper's Ferry it was stopped, and a number of troops mounted the platforms; whilst the train was moving slowly on, the troops passed through the cars, and the General being pointed out, he was immediately taken into custody.--N. Y. Times, April, 28. The Illinois troops struck a great blow at the secessionists of Missouri. Acting under orders from the President of the United States, an expedition of Illinois volunteers visited St. Louis, advanced upon the Federal Arsenal at that place, and brought away immense stores of artillery, ammunition, and small arms, which had been stored at that post by the Government. The amount of Federal property thus secured from the hands of the Secessionists of Missouri is of great value. Among the articles recovered were 21,000 stand of small arms and a park of artillery. There was no fighting. The Illinois boys declare, in true Western style, that the Secessionists are euchred. --(D
isplayed, and the tune of Yankee Doodle played. At the Clear Spring House the Stars and Stripes are waving, and the miners have sworn to resist secession to the death.--N. Y. Courier and Enquirer, April 28. The steamer C. E. Hillman, from St. Louis, bound for Nashville, was abandoned by her officers previous to reaching Cairo, Illinois. The deserted steamer was found to contain one thousand kegs of powder, and other contraband articles. At the same place, the steamer J. D. Perry, from St. Louis to Memphis, was brought to. Nothing of a contraband character being found on board, she was allowed to proceed on her trip.--New Orleans Picayune, April 30. A Southern Rights meeting was held in Warsaw, Mo. Resolutions were unanimously adopted favoring immediate secession; requesting the Governor to repel any attempt of the Administration to march troops through Missouri for the purpose of making war on the Southern States, or to reinforce the forts and arsenals in Missouri; and
he regiment and the dignity of the State, and their services placed at the disposal of the General Government. These arms, which are the very latest improvements, with the saber bayonets, would sell in market to-day for over $50,000 in cash. Col. Colt is now actively engaged in enlisting a full regiment for the war, and also furnishing officers to drill and perfect the men in the use of the weapons at his own expense. --The World, May 3. General Harney, in a letter to Col. Fallon of St. Louis, gives an account of his arrest and subsequent release by the authorities of Virginia; declares that he will serve under no other banner than the one he has followed for forty years; denies the right of secession, and implores his fellow-citizens of Missouri not to be seduced by designing men to become the instruments of their mad ambition, and plunge the State into revolution.--(Doc. 125.) The Albany (N. Y.) Burgesses Corps arrived at New York, and proceed to Washington to-morrow to
vernment just previous to the contemplated attack upon the Federal Metropolis. The conspirators had no idea that the Government would prove more prompt and efficient in their measures of defence, than they in theirs of attack. President Lincoln's letter to Governor Hicks of Maryland and Mayor Brown of Baltimore, dated on the day after the attack upon the Massachusetts troops, (April 19,) is published in full in the newspapers of to-day.--(Doc. 138.) The Police Commissioners of St. Louis, Mo., formally demanded of Capt. Lyon, the officer in command at the Arsenal, the removal of United States troops from all places and buildings occupied by them outside the Arsenal grounds. The Captain, as was doubtless expected, declined compliance with the demand, and the Commissioners have referred the matter to the Governor and Legislature. The Commissioners allege that such occupancy is in derogation of the Constitution and laws of the United States, and in rejoinder Capt. Lyon replies
e Protestant Episcopal Church in the diocese of Massachusetts do hereby express their heartfelt sympathy with the National Government in all right efforts to vindicate the authority of the Federal Union against all sedition, privy conspiracy, and rebellion. --Boston Advertiser, May 11. The Maryland Legislature passed a resolution, imploring the President of the United States to cease the present war.--(Doc. 153.) At about 2 P. M., a sudden movement was made by the U. S. forces in St. Louis under Capt. Lyon, upon Camp Jackson, near that city, by which the camp was entirely surrounded in less than half an hour, and compelled to an unconditional surrender. A great mob followed the U. S. troops to the camp, and began a noisy demonstration against them, and to throw stones. One company received the order to fire, and did so. Twenty-two persons were killed, and many were wounded. The mob then dispersed. A large quantity of arms and munitions were taken in the camp, together wi
nterference with State rights.--N. Y. Times, May 12. The First Regiment of Pennsylvania Infantry, under command of Colonel Lewis, arrived at Washington.--N. Y. Tribune, May 12. This afternoon, a large body of the Home Guards entered St. Louis, Mo., through Fifth street, from the Arsenal, where they had been enlisted during the day, and furnished with arms. On reaching Walnut street, the troops turned westward, a large crowd lining the pavement to witness their progress. At the cornere on the sidewalks. The shower of balls for a few minutes was terrible. Seven persons were killed, and a large number wounded. To allay the ex. citement and restore confidence to the people, Gen. Harney issued a proclamation to the people of St. Louis and the State, which was posted throughout the city, expressing deep regret at the state of things existing, pledging himself to do all in his power to preserve peace, and calling on the people and public authorities to aid him in the discharge
The Boston Rifle Company, numbering seventy-two men, now at Washington, is armed with the Whitney rifle and sabre bayonet, and is a reliable body of soldiers. The officers are: Capt., A. Dodd; First Lieut., C. Dodd; Second Lieut., C. G. Atwood; Third Lieut., G. A. Hicks; Fourth Lieut., J. Nason. The uniform is light blue pants, red shirt, dark gray overcoat, and fatigue cap.--National Intelligencer, May 13. General Wm. S. Harney, commanding the military department of the West, at St. Louis, Mo., issued a proclamation declaring that the public peace must be preserved, and asking the people to return to their avocations, abstain from the excitement of heated discussions, and observe the laws of the local authorities.--(Doc. 156.) An attempt was made at night to destroy the Monocacy Bridge, three miles from Frederick, Md., by a party from Point of Rocks. They cut the wires in the telegraph office, and threatened to kill the operator if he resisted. They then went to the bri
the limits of the Stat of Maryland, or for the defence of the capital of the United States. --(Doc. 166.) The Connecticut Second Regiment, numbering eight hundred en, arrived at Washington. They are handsomely uniformed, and have a complete camp equipage and about forty fine horses. They are armed (all save two companies, which have Minie muskets) with Sharpe's rifles and sabre bayonets.--(Doc. 167.) Postmaster-General Blair annulled the contract for carrying the mails between St. Louis and Memphis, owing to the forcible stoppage of the steamers by which they were conveyed. This is the first case under the law of the last Congress which authorized a discontinuance of the mail in case of illegal obstruction.--Boston Transcript, May 15. Gen. Butler made a formal demand on the city authorities of Baltimore for the delivery of a quantity of arms stored in the warehouse of John S. Gittings, corner of Gay and Second streets. Marshal Kane refused to deliver up the arms wit
May 17. In behalf of the Government of the United States, and the better to secure the peace of St. Louis, and promote the tranquillity of Missouri, United States warrants were issued for the search of places suspected to contain articles contraband of war. The warrants were placed in the hands of United States Marshal Rawlings, who proceeded, accompanied by a corps of United States soldiers, under Captain Sweeney, to the State Tobacco Warehouse on Washington Avenue, and to the Central Metropolitan Police Station on Chesnut street. At the former were found several hundred rifles, muskets, cavalry pistols, holsters, small boxes of ammunition; and at the latter place, Arnot's Building, two pieces of cannon, and several hundred rifles.--St. Louis Democrat, May 18. A submarine boat, or infernal machine supposed to be owned by the secessionists, was captured in Philadelphia.--(Doc. 175.) Surgeon-General Gibbes of the C. S. A., reports that no serious casualty occurred in t
time they were caught up by the coming breeze. and made to float over the whole loyal nation, and among millions who were now determined to keep the flag flying till the bitter end or until the restoration of peace and unity. Speeches were also made by Mr. Blair, Mr. Seward, and Mr. Caleb B. Smith. The remarks of Mr. Seward were received with the most intense enthusiasm.--N. Y. Commercial Advertiser May 22. The steamer J. C. Swan was seized at Harlow's Landing, thirty miles below St. Louis, and brought to the St. Louis arsenal, by order of Gen. Lyon. This is the steamer that brought the arms from Baton Rouge, which were captured by Gen. Lyon, at Camp Jackson. Measures will be taken to effect the legal confiscation of the boat. About 5,000 pounds of lead, en route for the South, were also seized at Ironton, on the Iron Mountain Railroad, by order of Gen. Lyon. Some resistance was offered by a party of citizens, and several shots were fired on both sides, but nobody was hu
1 2 3 4 5 6 ...