Browsing named entities in Rebellion Record: a Diary of American Events: Documents and Narratives, Volume 7. (ed. Frank Moore). You can also browse the collection for June 29th or search for June 29th in all documents.

Your search returned 11 results in 9 document sections:

I shall give in the words of those who performed the labor. Mr. Hoag, who was in charge of the wagons, sent out by Dr. Steiner from Frederick, gives the following account: I left Frederick City in charge of two wagons, well loaded, June twenty-ninth. We fell in with the Twelfth army corps supply-train; but owing to its moving slowly, did not get more than six miles before we were obliged to put up for the night. Tuesday we moved more rapidly, passed through Taneytown, and out on thived two hearty welcome slaps on the shoulder, one from the medical director of the corps, and the other, the surgeon of the division. Major Bush, who accompanied Mr. Hoag, gives his account in the following words: Monday morning, June twenty-ninth. Mr. Hoag and myself left Frederick with two wagon loads, in connection with the train of the Twelfth corps, by order of General Williams to Dr. Steiner. Reached Taneytown, Maryland, Tuesday, P. M., June thirtieth. Wednesday morning, Ju
Too much credit cannot be given to Mr. Collector Jewett for the promptness with which he acted on this occasion. He received the following despatch on the evening of the occurrence. Washington, June 27. J. Jewett: sir: Your prompt and efficient action in relation to the cutter Cushing merits my warmest approval. Cause all the parties implicated who may be arrested, to be placed in close confinement. Report the facts in detail for further instructions. S. P. Chase. --Portland Press, June 29. Deposition of Albert P. Bibber, one of the fishermen captured by the Archer. I, Albert P. Bibber, of Falmouth, in the District and State of Maine, on oath, depose and say, that on the twenty-fifth day of June, A. D. 1863, between ten and eleven o'clock A. M., I was in my row-boat, about eight miles to the southeast of the Damariscove Island, hauling my trawl, aided by Elbridge Titcomb. We had about twenty-five lines to our trawl, and we had underseen all but two lines. There were
ater in the day the firing ceased altogether. Along the lines there appeared to be but little doing with small arms. The day was unusually dull and quiet, and only an occasional shell disturbed the worshippers in the different churches. Monday, June 29.--This was another as bright and beautiful a day as ever gladdened the heart of man. The sun shone out in all its brilliancy and splendor, and the absence of firing of any kind gave the beautiful morning the resemblance of times of peace, in the ditches; relieved by the Fifth Missouri; forty-two killed arid wounded since the twenty-fifth; no loss to-day; weather pleasant; no news from the outside. The enemy are working vigorously; we throw a great many hand-grenades among them. June 29.--Firing very moderate; we are digging to meet the undermining foe. The Second, Fifth, and Sixth Missouri are guarding the threatened point. We relieve each other every six hours. Weather pleasant; no loss to-day. June 30.--Firing moderate;
Doc. 47.-Morgan's invasion of Ohio. Account by an eye-witness. on the twenty-seventh of June, 1863, the Second and Seventh Ohio cavalry and the Forth-fifth Ohio mounted infantry, together with Laws's howitzer battery, left Somerset, Ky., for Jamestown, for the purpose of watching Morgan, who, with his whole brigade, was encamped on the other side of the Cumberland River. We lay there from the twenty-ninth June to the third July, more or less skirmishing going on all the while — when on that day Captain Carter of the First Kentucky cavalry, with detachments of the Second Ohio cavalry and Forty-fifth Ohio mounted infantry, went on a reconnoissance toward Columbia. There they had a fight with the advance of Morgan's division, which we then found had crossed the river on the second of July. About five o'clock on the afternoon of the third, Captain Carter was very seriously wounded, and the enemy pressed us so closely, that we were compelled to fall back. At six o'clock a
e rebels in York, on their requisition or demand for one hundred thousand dollars, was about twenty-eight thousand dollars. The compliance, in part, of their demand, beyond all doubt saved the burning of all the shops and buildings of the railway company and machine-shops where government work is done, the burning of which would have involved the destruction of an immense amount of private property in the immediate neighborhood of these shops. Fight at Wrightsville. Columbia, Pa., June 29, 5 A. M. The conflict near Wrightsville, Pa., commenced about half-past 6 o'clock on Sunday evening last. Colonel Frick, with a regiment composed of men from the interior counties of Pennsylvania, principally those of Schuylkill, Lehigh, Berks, and Northampton, with three companies of Colonel Thomas's (Twentieth) regiment, the City Troop of Philadelphia, Captain Bell's independent company of cavalry from Gettysburgh, and several hundred men unattached to any particular command, aided by
six weeks, from May twenty-seventh to July seventh, inclusive, the enemy must have fired from fifty to seventy-five thousand shot and shell, yet not more than twenty-five men were killed by these projectiles. They had worse dangers than these to contend against, but against them all they fought like heroes, and did their duty cheerfully. Several buildings were burned by the enemy's shells. among which was the mill, entailing a loss of two or three thousand bushels of corn. About the twenty-ninth or thirtieth of June the garrison's supply of meat gave out, when General Gardner ordered the mules to be butchered, after ascertaining that the men were willing to eat them. Far from shrinking From this hardship, the men received their unusual rations cheerfully, and declared that they were proud to be able to say that they had been reduced to this extremity. Many of them, as if in mockery of famine, caught rats and ate them, declaring that they were better than squirrels. At the sa
d thirty commissioned officers. Their killed and wounded must have been at least two hundred, including those drowned in the river. Generals Wheeler and Martin had to take to the water with the other fugitives. The Adjutant of the Eighth confederates reined in his horse to allow the two generals to take their dip before him, but his doing so threw him into the hands of the Third Indiana. I bivouacked near the railroad station. June 28.--Returned to within two miles of Guy's Gap. June 29.--Reveille at one o'clock A. M. Marched to Fairfield via Shelbyville. The Fifth Iowa and Third Indiana were detached and left with General Granger at Guy's Gap. June 30.--Marched to within four miles of Manchester. July 1.--Returned to Walker's Mills, within three miles of Manchester. July 2.--Reveille at one A. M. Waited four hours for the First division to move. Marched to Elk River, where I rejoined the Second division. The enemy showed himself in force, the Seventh Pennsylva
ted for supper. We had just fed our horses and got some coffee over the fire, when orders came to get ready to move at once --over went the kettles of coffee, and every man was at his post, and in ten minutes we were ready to march. Proceeding toward Manchester, we forded Duck River, and about two o'clock on the morning of the twenty-eighth, we encamped in the southern outskirts of the town. June 28.--We marched about seven miles, toward Tullahoma, Tenn., and encamped for the night. June 29.--Remained in camp all day. Lieutenant Corbin was sent to the front with one section of the battery for picket. Left camp at six P. M. June 30.--Lieutenant Corbin returned to camp with the section at seven A. M. July 1.--Marched to Tullahoma. The enemy were gone, evidently having left in great haste. We encamped one mile south of the town. July 2.--Marched from Tullahoma in the direction of Decherd, Tennessee. Arrived at Stearns's Mill at ten o'clock A. M., where we halted to a
st, and his expected cooperation, encourage me to hope that something may yet be done to save Vicksburgh, and to postpone both of the modes suggested of merely extricating the garrison. Negotiations with Grant for the relief of the garrison, should they become necessary, must be made by you. It would be a confession of weakness on my part, which I ought not to make, to propose them. When it becomes necessary to make terms, they may be considered as made under my authority. On the twenty-ninth of June, field transportation and other supplies having been obtained, the army marched toward the Big Black, and on the evening of July first encamped between Brownsville and the river. Reconnoissances, which occupied the second and third, convinced me that the attack north of the railroad was impracticable. I determined, therefore, to make the examinations necessary for the attempt south of the railroad-thinking, from what was already known, that the chance for success was much better t