Browsing named entities in Admiral David D. Porter, The Naval History of the Civil War.. You can also browse the collection for March 18th or search for March 18th in all documents.

Your search returned 6 results in 4 document sections:

Admiral David D. Porter, The Naval History of the Civil War., Chapter 18: capture of forts Jackson and St. Philip, and the surrender of New Orleans. (search)
otilla: Harriet Lane, Owasco. Clifton, Westfield, Miami, Jackson; besides the mortar schooners, which will be named hereafter. The frigate Colorado, of fifty guns, is not enumerated, for though present, both Flag-officer Farragut and Capt. Bailey, his second in command, concluded that it was impossible to lighten her sufficiently to cross the bar at Southwest Pass. Towed by the Harriet Lane, Owasco, Westfield, and Clifton, all the mortar schooners crossed the bar at Pass à l'outre on March 18th, and were ordered by Farragut to proceed via the junction to the Southwest Pass. At this time the only vessels that had crossed the bar at the Southwest Pass, after an unsuccessful attempt with the Brooklyn at Pass a l'outre, were the Hartford and the Brooklyn. The Navy Department had been mistaken in sending vessels of such draught as the Colorado, Pensacola, and Mississippi, for though the two latter ships were finally with great difficulty worked over, the time lost amounted to at l
Admiral David D. Porter, The Naval History of the Civil War., Chapter 19: battle of the forts and capture of New Orleans. (search)
honor to lay before you a report of the proceedings of the mortar flotilla under my command since the day the vessels entered the Mississippi River. On the 18th of March, all the mortar fleet crossed Pass à l'outre bar, towed by the Harriet Lane, Owasco, Westfield, and Clifton, the two latter having arrived that morning. I wasf the United States steamer Westfield, under my command, since her arrival in the Mississippi River. Upon our reaching Pass à l'outre, on the morning of the 18th of March, I had the honor of reporting my arrival to you in person, and by your order at once proceeded to tow the mortar schooners inside the bar. From that date untilr Clifton. United States Steamer, Clifton, New Orleans, May 1, 1862. Sir — I have the honor to report that, since my arrival at Pass à l'outre, on the 18th of March, I have been employed, with little intermission, as follows: Towing the mortar vessels attached to the flotilla to the Southwest Pass, and for the succeeding t
Admiral David D. Porter, The Naval History of the Civil War., Chapter 26: siege of Vicksburg. (search)
hing of consequence, and after a delay of thirteen days, in which neither side did anything, the Federal forces withdrew. The Navy did all that was required of it on this occasion, but there was no hearty co-operation on the part of the Army. Fort Pemberton, though well fortified and in a strong position, ought to have been taken. This would have given the Federals command of the Tallahatchie, Yallabusha and Yazoo Rivers, and of course a clear way to the rear of Vicksburg. On the 18th of March, Lieutenant-Commander Watson Smith, owing to aberration of mind, gave up the command of the Naval force to Lieutenant-Commander Foster, who after trying all that could be thought of, followed the Army which had been ordered to retire from before Fort Pemberton. A great deal of cotton was taken by this expedition, but the result was a failure in the main object. The enemy burned two large steamers loaded with cotton, or they were set on fire by the shells of the gun-boats. The Conf
Admiral David D. Porter, The Naval History of the Civil War., Chapter 41: the Red River expedition, under Major-General N. P. Banks, assisted by the Navy under Rear-Admiral David D. Porter. (search)
urged that it would be very discourteous to General Smith to go forward without consulting him, and leave him, with only 5,000 men, unprotected by the gun-boats. Desperate as this scheme of Mower's appeared, we think it would have succeeded better than General Banks' movement on Shreveport a short time afterwards. General Taylor had occupied Alexandria with 15,000 men, and had hurriedly decamped on the approach of the Army and Navy, leaving three pieces of artillery behind. On the 18th of March, General A. J. Smith arrived, ready to march at a moment's notice when Banks should give the order. Meanwhile, there was no news whatever of General Banks' whereabouts. His cavalry arrived on the 19th, and on the 25th, eight days after he had agreed to meet the Admiral at Alexandria, he appeared upon the scene. Then commenced a series of delays, which culminated in disasters, that have left a reproach upon the Red River expedition which time cannot efface; for, no matter how gallant t