Browsing named entities in Rebellion Record: a Diary of American Events: Documents and Narratives, Volume 3. (ed. Frank Moore). You can also browse the collection for 13th or search for 13th in all documents.

Your search returned 18 results in 11 document sections:

1 2
Rebellion Record: a Diary of American Events: Documents and Narratives, Volume 3. (ed. Frank Moore), Doc. 33. capture of Lexington, Missouri. (search)
llowing days, and nothing but starvation or the hemp bale movement (which was the actual cause of our surrender) could have forced us to leave it. There were three cisterns inside our lines and two springs near by on the bank toward the river. Our men were often shot at while going to the springs, but there was only one day when we actually suffered from water. We had about seventy-five wagons in the lines, and about three hundred horses and mules belonging to them. On the morning of the 13th, they brought in a flag of truce — we were told that their object was to get time to bury their dead, of which they must have had a very large number. Our loss on the previous day was four killed and eighteen wounded. Up to the 18th, fighting was confined to the pickets. We continued to work on our fortifications. The enemy was constantly receiving reinforcements. On that morning, at about eight o'clock, they planted cannon, six in all, on three sides of us. Fighting immediately commen
the road. Determined to force a communication with Cheat, I ordered the Thirteenth Indiana, under Col. Sullivan, to cut their way, if necessary, by the mail road, and the greater part of the Third Ohio and Second Virginia, under Cols. Manon and Moss respectively, to do the same by the path; the two commands starting at three o'clock A. M., on the 13th--the former from Cheat Mountain Pass, and the latter from Elk Water, so as to fall upon the enemy, if possible, simultaneously. Early on the 13th, the small force of about three hundred from the summit engaged the enemy, and with such effect, that notwithstanding his greatly superior numbers, he retired in great haste and disorder, leaving large quantities of clothing and equipments on the ground; and our relieving forces, failing to catch the enemy, marched to the summit, securing the provision train, and re-openingour communication. While this was taking place on the mountain, and as yet unknown to us, the enemy, under Lee, advanced
Doc. 49. destruction of the privateer Judah, September 13, 1861. Flag officer Mervine's report. United States flagship Colorado, off Fort Pickens, September 15, 1861. sir: I have the honor to inform you that a boat expedition was fitted out from this ship on the night of the 13th instant, consisting of the first launch, and first, second, and third cutters, under the commands of Lieutenant Russell, Sproston, Blake, and Midshipman Steece, respectively, assisted by Captain Reynolds, of the marines, Assistant-Surgeon Kennedy, Assistant-Engineer White, Gunner Horton, and Midshipmen Forrest and Higginson. The whole force detailed consisted of about one hundred men, officers, sailors, and marines. The object of the expedition was the destruction of a schooner which lay off the Pensacola Navy Yard, supposed to be fitting out as a privateer, and the spiking of a gun, in battery, at the southeast end of the yard. The movements of the schooner had been assiduously watched for
i County; J. H. B. Clark, private; W. Winningham, private; J. R. Laughlin, private; S. Clark, private; H. M. Dickinson, private. All of which is respectfully submitted. I have the honor to be, very respectfully, your obedient servant, Clark Wright, Major Corn. Fremont Battalion. To Gen. Wyman Commanding. Burial of the dead.--Supplemental report. Headquarters camp McClurg, October 16, 1861. General: Enclosed please find Supplemental Report of the action near Henrytown on the 13th. The party detailed to scout the battlefield, and see that the dead were all buried, have returned, and report the whole number of the enemy killed sixty-two, instead of twenty-seven, as per my official report; also, the four mortally wounded have since died. I have the honor to be, very respectfully, your most obedient servant, Clark Wright, Major Com. Fremont Battalion Cavalry. To Brig.-Gen. J. B. Wyman, Com. Brigade. Missouri Democrat account. Rolla, Oct. 16, 1861. The amb
Rebellion Record: a Diary of American Events: Documents and Narratives, Volume 3. (ed. Frank Moore), Doc. 90. battle of Bolivar Heights, Va. Fought October 16, 1861. (search)
ng in and covering the necessary movements of the operation. On the 10th instant the Major called upon me to aid him with men and cannon, but as the necessity for them seemed to have vanished, the order was countermanded. Again, on Sunday, the 13th, I received reliable information that the rebel forces were concentrating in the direction of Harper's Ferry, and I also learned from Major Gould that he required assistance. In the evening, accompanied by Governor Sprague of Rhode Island, and g, Commanding Light Battery K, Ninth Regiment N. Y. S. M.: I have the honor to submit for your consideration the following report of an engagement which occurred at Harper's Ferry and Bolivar, Virginia, on Wednesday, 16th instant: On Sunday, 13th instant, I received orders at six P. M. from Col. Geary, commanding this post, to hold the section under my command in readiness to march at a moment's notice. At eleven P. M. we left this post by railroad, and arrived at Sandy Hook at one o'cloc
e. Capt. Wilkes showed him a photograph of the Sumter, which he immediately recognized as the vessel by which he was boarded. Capt. Wilkes then advised Com. Palmer, of the Iroquois, to cruise immediately after her, the Iroquois being the fastest steamer of the three, and to follow her as far as Rio even, if necessary, at the same time the San Jacinto cruised in the West Indies and Caribbean Sea to overhaul the Sumter, in the event of her returning there. The Iroquois left St. Thomas on the 13th, and we on the 14th of October, in company with the Powhatan. Since leaving St. Thomas, we cruised in the vicinity of the Windward Islands, and visited Port Royal and Kingston, in the Island of Jamaica, the Grand Cayman, Trinidad, Cienfuegos, Key West, Lobos, Sagua la Grande and the Bahamas. Although for twenty months engaged in an active cruise for slavers on the West Coast of Africa, and much reduced in the number of her officers and crew, the San Jacinto has been for the last six weeks c
In the evening I received a note from Captain Handy, a copy of which, and my reply, is enclosed. After I had taken the guns and ammunition from the McClellan she was sent to the assistance of the Vincennes, and endeavored to get her afloat; in the mean time I carried out a stream anchor from this ship astern, and, after unsuccessful attempts, for two or three hours, the McClellan returned to this ship, and was lashed alongside to wait until a rise of the tide. At early daylight of the 13th instant, the South Carolina, Commander Alden, came in, and I directed him to proceed, and, if possible, get the Vincennes afloat. Soon after, this ship was got afloat, her head down stream, and the McClellan was instantly cast off and went to assist in getting the Vincennes afloat. As there was not room for his ship to lay at anchor, or to turn to point her head up the stream, I had no other alternative than to cross the bar and anchor outside. My mind was very much relieved, knowing that the
felt I would hold my position in the mountain secu<*> against their force. During the night, at about two A. M. of the 13th, it was reported to me by a scout I have sent out to watch the rebel camp, that the wheels of heavy wagons, or artillery, he furthest point of Cotton Hill. There in the night after our first engagement with his outposts on the afternoon of the 13th, the enemy made a most precipitous retreat, leaving portions of his baggage, wagon-loads of ammunition, tents, clothing, &ht, without shelter, victuals or repose, when they were ordered to continue their retreat. This was on the morning of the 13th, when the report that the enemy was marching to Fayetteville to cut off our retreat proved to be false, as the scouts returned and reported no enemy near. The brigade continued its retreat ten miles on the 13th, and halted at Camp McCoy for the night. During the whole of the retreat, thus far, there was a great deal of excitement, fear, and especially loss of baggage,
tempt nothing without a clear prospect of success. This was good instruction and most sensible advice. Good or bad, he was to obey; and he did. On Friday, the 13th, he was informed that, on the supposition that he would cross the river on the next Monday or Tuesday, Gen McDowell would be instructed to make a demonstration on when he would attack Manassas. On the 12th he was directed to go where he had proposed, and informed that Manassas would be attacked on Tuesday, the 16th. On the 13th he was telegraphed: If not strong enough to beat the enemy early next week, make demonstrations so as to detain him in the valley of Winchester. He made the demonay General Scott said he would attack Manassas, he drove the enemy's pickets into his intrenchments at Winchester, and on the 17th marched to Charleston. On the 13th he telegraphed the General-in-Chief that Johnston was in a position to have his strength doubled just as he could reach him, and that he would rather lose the chan
in. Owing to a gale which was blowing at the time, Lieutenant Worden did not visit Captain Adams until the following day, when he delivered his orders and received a written reply in return, acknowledging the receipt of the despatches, and stating that they should be executed, together with other verbal information for the Government. Fort Pickens was reinforced by Captain Vodges that night. Lieutenant Worden took the cars at eight P. M. on the 12th on his return, and on the morning of the 13th, when within about five miles of Montgomery, five officers of the rebel army came in and arrested him, taking him to the office of the Adjutant-General at Montgomery. A cabinet meeting was held to decide upon his case, and during the day he was remanded to the custody of a deputy marshal, in whose rooms he remained until the 15th, when he was removed to the county jail. Lieutenant Worden could get no reply to a request to know the grounds of his arrest, but learned verbally that General B
1 2