Browsing named entities in Thomas Wentworth Higginson, Harvard Memorial Biographies. You can also browse the collection for December 17th or search for December 17th in all documents.

Your search returned 4 results in 3 document sections:

Thomas Wentworth Higginson, Harvard Memorial Biographies, 1842. (search)
r 13.—Papers still full of Southern secession nonsense. . . . . December 5.—I cannot feel that this great confederacy is to be destroyed just yet, and I don't like to contemplate the fearful ruin that must overtake the South if they pursue their mad scheme. . . . . December 10.—Put on my skates this afternoon. Am aching all over. Two hundred and fifteen pounds is a heavy weight to be supported on two one-eighth-inch irons, but I love to mingle in these gay crowds. . . . . December 17.—Wonder what South Carolina is doing. Skating. . . . . December 28.—Great stir yesterday, owing to the despatch that Major Anderson had evacuated and destroyed Fort Moultrie. Some of the people talk blood and warfare, but this is easy talking far away from the probable scenes of danger. . . . . January 25, 1861.—What a short-sighted babydom prevails in Boston. The Mayor fears W. Phillips and the Abolitionists will make a riot, and so closes the Anti-slavery Convention.
Thomas Wentworth Higginson, Harvard Memorial Biographies, 1852. (search)
n four legs, endowed with a skin and hair together with a tail, and is called a quartermaster's horse. Upon this instrument of torture have I been jolted about for some days. The result must be felt to be appreciated. Rockville, Maryland, December 17. . . . . I have been sent up here to do General Stone's division. Saturday I reached Washington from Fortress Monroe, devoted Sunday to writing a report of my doings at that place of dulness and darkies; was sent yesterday to Relay Househis rest. As he lay in the repose of death in the home of his youth, his expression was natural and life-like, as of one who had returned wearied with conflict, and had sunk into a calm but thoughtful and semi-conscious slumber. On the 17th of December the mortal remains of Major Willard were brought home, with loving care, to the city he had left but four short months before, in the pride of manly beauty and the fulness of his strength. On Saturday, December 20th, in accordance with his
Thomas Wentworth Higginson, Harvard Memorial Biographies, 1863. (search)
t gone, his force inadequate. He prudently withdrew to Plymouth, North Carolina. We left this place for Newbern on transports, November 11th. For a month we were in camp on the banks of the Neuse River. December 11th, we began the Goldsborough expedition, undertaken for the purpose of destroying the railroad between Goldsborough and Wilmington. December 14, 1862, I was in the battle of Kinston; December 16th, in the battle of White Hall, where the regiment suffered severe loss. December 17th, we reached the railroad, which was destroyed for a considerable distance, the bridge over the Neuse destroyed, and the telegraph wires cut. After a hard march we reached Newbern, marching nearly seventy miles in three days. We remained in Newbern until February 1, 1863; we then went to Plymouth, North Carolina, on the Roanoke River. We marched out from Plymouth on a provision-destroying expedition, marching all night, making nearly thirty miles, destroying a lot of pork and bacon. Thi