Browsing named entities in Maj. Jed. Hotchkiss, Confederate Military History, a library of Confederate States Military History: Volume 3, Virginia (ed. Clement Anselm Evans). You can also browse the collection for December 15th or search for December 15th in all documents.

Your search returned 3 results in 3 document sections:

reat confusion, leaving their dead and wounded and the debacle of their retreat behind them. Colonel Johnson concluded his official report of this engagement, dated December 19th, by saying: Although we have reason to be thankful to God for the victory achieved over our enemies on this occasion, we can but lament the loss of many valuable lives. Our casualties amounted to 20 killed, 96 wounded and 28 missing. Many of the missing have returned since the day of battle. In a report of December 15th, he wrote: The enemy were totally routed and acknowledged they had been badly whipped. They were heard to accuse their officers of deceiving them, insisting that our numbers were largely superior to their own. They were much demoralized, and I hope they have received a good lesson. The Official Records contain no report from General Milroy concerning this engagement, but the official return of Federal casualties gives 20 killed, 107 wounded and 10 missing; total, 137. Any account
nna, was attacked by 120 men of the First North Carolina cavalry, under Col. Robert Ransom, and stampeded. Ransom reported the capture of 26 prisoners, and a considerable number of horses, sabers and carbines. The attention of the government was invited to these successful affairs by General Johnston. Skirmishes followed, of like character, near Dranesville on the 26th, near Fairfax on the 27th, and at Annandale, December 2d. Gen. S. G. French, stationed at Evansport, reported on December 15th that his position had been under fire from Federal batteries on the Maryland shore during the past three weeks. On December 20th Gen. J. E. B. Stuart, with a force comprising the Eleventh Virginia, Col. Samuel Garland; Sixth South Carolina, Lieutenant-Colonel Secrest; Tenth Alabama, Col. J. H. Forney, and First Kentucky, Col. T. H. Taylor, in all 1,600 infantry; Capt. A. S. Cutts' Georgia artillery (four pieces), Maj. J. B. Gordon's North Carolina cavalry, and Capt. A. L. Pitzer's Vir
y to meet an anticipated flank. movement, was overwhelmed by a morning attack of Hancock's corps, in which he and a large part of his command were captured. After his exchange he was assigned, September, 1864, to command of Anderson's division of the army of Tennessee. In the corps of Gen. S. D. Lee he took part in Hood's Tennessee campaign, commanding the advance and occupying Florence, Ala., October 30th. He led a desperate charge in the battle of Franklin, and fought at Nashville, December 15th and 16th; on the latter day being captured, with a large part of his division, in the general defeat of Hood's army. After the close of the war he retired to his farm in Chesterfield county, Va., and resided there until his death, February 22, 1873. Brigadier-General John Marshall Jones Brigadier-General John Marshall Jones was born at Charlottesville, Va., July 26, 1820, and was educated for the profession of arms at West Point, graduating and receiving the rank of brevet second