Browsing named entities in Col. O. M. Roberts, Confederate Military History, a library of Confederate States Military History: Volume 11.1, Texas (ed. Clement Anselm Evans). You can also browse the collection for December 17th or search for December 17th in all documents.

Your search returned 2 results in 2 document sections:

ens, from Travis and 27 other counties, most of whom were prominent men. The call was published and gladly responded to in all parts of the State. The question then before the people was regarded as above mere politics, and such as required all persons to speak out their opinions. The judges of the supreme and district courts upon being called on gave full expression of their views, which generally were in favor of the immediate action of the State in its sovereign capacity. On the 17th of December, Governor Houston issued his proclamation for a special session of the legislature to convene on the 21st of January, 1861, which would be one week before the meeting of the convention called by the citizens. His reasons assigned for the call were that there was great excitement in the public mind in reference to our relations to the Federal government, and he wished measures provided for a free expression of the popular will; also that the necessary means might be provided for the pr
the cañons to the Texas border, and the command was stationed along a line from Dona Ana to Fort Bliss. Armies of Kentucky, of the West, of the Mississippi, and of Tennessee. Woodsonville—Fort Donelson. The Eighth Texas cavalry, or Texas Rangers, under Col. B. F. Terry, was sent into Kentucky in September, 1861, and was soon followed by the Seventh infantry under Col. John Gregg. The first considerable engagement of the Eighth cavalry was at Woodsonville, or Rowlett's station, December 17th. Gen. T. C. Hindman, in command of the Confederate forces engaged, in advancing on Woodsonville put out the Rangers on the neighboring heights and Major Phifer's cavalry to watch the crossings of Green river. Later Colonel Terry, being temporarily left in command by General Hindman, was assailed by the enemy in force, and at the head of 75 Rangers he charged about 300, routed and drove them back, but fell mortally wounded. A body of the enemy of about the same size attacked the Ranger