Browsing named entities in James D. Porter, Confederate Military History, a library of Confederate States Military History: Volume 7.1, Tennessee (ed. Clement Anselm Evans). You can also browse the collection for 13th or search for 13th in all documents.

Your search returned 9 results in 6 document sections:

erable quantity of quartermaster and commissary stores. General Beauregard made demand for an explanation of the causes leading to the evacuation, and when the reports were submitted they were referred to Major Brent for examination, who reported on the 15th of April: 1, that the works at New Madrid could have held out longer, the enemy up to the date of the evacuation having been several times signally repulsed; 2, that disorder and confusion prevailed at Fort Thompson on the night of the 13th, the men were disinclined to obey orders, and orders were given apparently without authority; that sufficient means for transportation were not furnished; that part of the abandoned guns could have been saved. But nothing came of the investigation except to demonstrate the unfitness of the commander at Fort Thompson. The force under McCown was inadequate for the defense of New Madrid; and though General Beauregard considered its maintenance and defense important, on the 15th of March he ap
arrival of Hardee's corps it was fiercely attacked by the army of the Ohio, commanded by Major-General Schofield, and Palmer's corps, with the result that Gen. Geo. H. Thomas reported to the commanding general under date of May 14th, that the position in front of Palmer and Schofield cannot be carried, adding, Howard's corps is moving in on Schofield's left. With this force, heavy skirmishing with frequent assaults continued for three days. Failing in an attack on Cheatham's line made on the 13th, unsuccessful efforts were made to carry the line held by Cleburne and Bate during the 14th and 15th, and during this time heavy skirmishing was continuous along the line occupied by the army of Tennessee. On the night of the 15th, Gen. W. H. T. Walker, then at Calhoun, reported that the Federal army was crossing the Oostenaula river near that place, and this forced General Johnston's retirement from Resaca. On the 9th, Major-General Wheeler, with Brig.-Gen. Geo. G. Dibrell's Tennessee br
xt morning moved out on the Salem turnpike in force and drove in his pickets, when the infantry, except Smith's (Tennessee) brigade, made a shameful retreat with the loss of two pieces of artillery. Failing with Bate's assistance to rally the troops, he called for Armstrong's and Ross' brigades of Jackson's division, who charged the enemy and checked his advance. On the 9th, Smith's brigade of Cleburne's division, under Colonel Olmstead, relieved Bate, who joined his proper command. On the 13th, Brig.-Gen. W. H. Jackson captured a train of 17 cars and the Sixty-first Illinois regiment of infantry, with 60,000 rations intended for the garrison at Murfreesboro. Forrest was pushing his investment of Murfreesboro with great vigor when he was advised by Hood of the disaster at Nashville. He then withdrew at once and rejoined the army at Columbia. On the 18th he wrote, Most of the infantry under my command were barefooted and in a disabled condition. My march over almost impassable
he next morning Pope telegraphed General Halleck, The enemy has retreated under cover of the night; but the general-in-chief, wiser than his redoubtable lieutenant, briefly answered, Beware of a snare. Feigned retreats are Secesh tactics. On the 13th, General Lee congratulated General Jackson on his victory. In this action at Cedar Run, the Tennessee troops participating were the First, Col. Peter Turney; the Seventh, Col. John A. Fite, and the Fourteenth, Col. W. A. Forbes, of Archer's brof Northern Virginia, and when the Federal army crossed the Rappahannock, he was in position ready for Burnside's attack. Burnside crossed the river on the night of the 11th of December, 1862, with a division, and occupied Fredericksburg. On the 13th his troops were all over the river, and at 9 a. m. his advance was made on the right wing of our army commanded by Gen. Stonewall Jackson. A. P. Hill's division, on Jackson's right, was fiercely assailed. General Archer, commanding the Tennesse
Georgia, Colonel Lawton, and two companies of Kentuckians under Captains Taylor and Waltham. He made forced marches to Murfreesboro, arriving at 4:30 a. m. of the 13th in front of that place, then held by the Ninth Michigan and Third Minnesota regiments of infantry, 200 Pennsylvania cavalry, 100 of the Eighth Kentucky cavalry, anabandon and burn seven wagons, one caisson and two ambulances; but his infantry rallied, and by superior numbers forced us to retire. Late in the afternoon of the 13th, General Buford, under the orders of General Lee, with Bell's brigade and a section of Morton's battery, attacked the enemy on his right flank during the march. Ahe 27th of January, 1865, Gen. Richard Taylor, commanding department, assigned General Forrest to the command of the district of Mississippi and Louisiana. On the 13th of the following month Brig.-Gen. W. H. Jackson was assigned to the command of all of the Tennesseeans in the district. Bell's and Rucker's brigades, the Ninth, T
Pillow to go to Fort Donelson. The order was immediately obeyed, and going on board a transport they arrived next morning under a heavy fire. The companies were formed on the transport and marched off in regular order. In passing through the village of Dover, three men were wounded, one mortally, by the Federal shells. Then, assigned to Colonel Heiman's brigade, the regiment was thrown into the trenches. This was the introduction of these gallant men to the stern realities of war. On the 13th, 14th and 15th of February occurred the severest fighting at Donelson. Both superiors and subordinates bore testimony to the gallantry of Colonel Quarles in the trying ordeal of this first battle. In this attack, says Gen. Bushrod Johnson, speaking of the first assaults of the enemy, Captain Maney's company of artillery and Colonels Abernathy's and Quarles' regiments principally suffered and deserve more particular notice. During the three days fighting the conduct of Colonel Quarles was s