Browsing named entities in Southern Historical Society Papers, Volume 14. (ed. Reverend J. William Jones). You can also browse the collection for Falmouth, Va. (Virginia, United States) or search for Falmouth, Va. (Virginia, United States) in all documents.

Your search returned 5 results in 2 document sections:

Southern Historical Society Papers, Volume 14. (ed. Reverend J. William Jones), The battle of Chancellorsville. (search)
once again held high its head. On April 30, 1863, the morning report showed, for duty equipped, 131,491 officers and men, and nearly 400 guns in the camp near Falmouth. Confronting this overwhelming body of men lay the weather-beaten Army of Northern Virginia, numbering some 60,000 men and 170 guns. This force was posted fromcommand. Hooker's tardiness in advancing had already allowed the erection of a difficult barrier. The headquarters of the Army of the Potomac had remained at Falmouth till Hooker personally reached Chancellorsville. After the transfer hither, the chief of staff, for ease of communication between the wings, was kept at the oldon of his troops to warrant an assault, day broke. Brooks still held the left of the line, Howe the centre, and Newton the right. Gibbon, who had been left in Falmouth, threw a bridge above Fredericksburg, crossed and filed in on Sedgwick's right. Both Gibbon and Howe made demonstrations against the enemy's flanks, but the nat
Southern Historical Society Papers, Volume 14. (ed. Reverend J. William Jones), Recollections of Fredericksburg.—From the morning of the 20th of April to the 6th of May, 1863. (search)
at Hamilton's station to watch the Federal General, Sedgwick, who was left in the command of thirty thousand troops in front of Fredericksburg. Barksdale's brigade was left at Fredericksburg to picket the Rappahannock, from the reservoir above Falmouth to Fernahough house, below Fredericksburg, a distance of three miles. Sedgwick lay quietly in our front, and contented himself with fortifying his position below Deep Run, until the 2d day of May, when he commenced recrossing his troops at Dee factory; destroyed the bridge at that point, and withdrew the pickets from the river above and retired across the canal by the two bridges at the foot of Taylor's Hill. A party was left to destroy the two bridges, but the enemy had crossed at Falmouth, and following us so closely that the party was driven off just as they had stripped off the plank without destroying the frame-work. I arrived at Marye's Hill before daylight, and found that portion of my regiment that retired through the ci