Browsing named entities in Southern Historical Society Papers, Volume 32. (ed. Reverend J. William Jones). You can also browse the collection for February 18th or search for February 18th in all documents.

Your search returned 2 results in 2 document sections:

Southern Historical Society Papers, Volume 32. (ed. Reverend J. William Jones), Sherman's expedition from Vicksburg to Meridian, Feb. 3, to March 6, 1864 [from the New Orleans, la., Picayune, July 27, 1904.] (search)
returned to Vicksburg. In the meantime, February 17th, General Lee, under orders from General Polk, left only a few regiments to watch the army of General Sherman at Meridian and moved with all of his disposable force northward to unite with General Forrest in an attempt to crush the column under General Smith, estimated by General Forrest at 7,000 men. Lee put his four cavalry brigades (Ross had joined him the day before in the vicinity of Marion Station), in motion on the morning of February 18th, and reached the Line creek north of Starkville, and nine miles southwest of West Point, on the morning of February 22d. It was found that the enemy had begun a hasty retreat early on the morning of February 21st. General Forrest, as soon as he knew the probable destination of this column, concentrated his command in the vicinity of Starkville, and on the 20th had a part of his force at West Point, one brigade being in front of the town. He had up to this time offered no opposition to
Southern Historical Society Papers, Volume 32. (ed. Reverend J. William Jones), The Shenandoah. (search)
And other prizes followed. From these prizes they secured twenty enlistments, increasing the crew from nineteen to to thirty-nine; so, including the officers, they had all told, sixty-two men, besides the prisoners, who were now and then sent away on some bonded vessel. On December 8th they made Tristam da Canha, near St. Helena, and passing to the east of Africa they reached Melbourne, Australia, January 25th, 1865. There they landed all their prisoners, and after refitting left on February 18th. After leaving the harbor a number of men who had secreted themselves on board, came on deck and enlisted, increasing their crew to 144. Sailing northward, in May, after many adventures, and capturing many prizes, they reached the shores of Kamskata. Captain Whittle says: We were in the arctic and contiguous regions during the summer. It was most interesting, as we went north towards the poleā€”to mark the days grow longer and longer, and to experience the sun's being below the hor