Browsing named entities in The Daily Dispatch: March 31, 1862., [Electronic resource]. You can also browse the collection for Gen McClellan or search for Gen McClellan in all documents.

Your search returned 2 results in 2 document sections:

over the boasted Gibraltar of the west. Finding himself completely turned on both sides of the Mississippi, the enemy was obliged to evacuate or surrender. "Large quantities of artillery and stores were captured." We find appendant to the foregoing, in the Memphis Appeal, a communication from one of our officers, which we copy: Headq'rs First Grand Division, Army of the Mississippi, Hun, Boldy, Denn Tenn, March 17, 1862. Above you have the report of Gen Hadleck to Gen McClellan, of what he calls the capturing of Columbus. I do not wish to suggest that Gen. Halleck has meant to say what was not strictly use, for my knowledge of that officer for inasmuch an intimation; but for the truth of history — which is being made very rapidly just now — I feel called on to say, nevertheless, that the last paragraph of his report is a more fable, entirely destitute of truth. Every gun from the fort was shipped before the evening of the 1st. During Saturday night the l
pers. They are heartily welcome to Skidaway, with its sand files and innumerable mosquitoes. Skidaway is about fourteen miles southeast from Savannah. Lumdrs. It was currently rumored yesterday that Gen. Jackson had been reinforced by Gen. Johnston, and that a battle took place on Friday last, resulting in the complete rout of the enemy. There is, however, no farther foundation for the report than that heavy discharges of artillery were heard by the citizens of Fredericksburg on the day referred to. They Fredericksburg News, of Saturday, says: If our readers want rumors, the last and best is that Gen. McClellan was taken prisoner yesterday at Warrenton Junction, where he is reported to have about 15,000 troops. Some of our citizens hear cannon all the time now. Some heard them all day yesterday; others did not begin to hear them until 11 and 4 o'clock respectively. One soldier said he heard them last summer for four days, and there wasn't any battle after all.