hide Matching Documents

The documents where this entity occurs most often are shown below. Click on a document to open it.

Document Max. Freq Min. Freq
The Daily Dispatch: September 2, 1863., [Electronic resource] 34 0 Browse Search
View all matching documents...

Browsing named entities in The Daily Dispatch: September 2, 1863., [Electronic resource]. You can also browse the collection for Matthew Wood or search for Matthew Wood in all documents.

Your search returned 17 results in 3 document sections:

The Daily Dispatch: September 2, 1863., [Electronic resource], The capture of gunboats on the Rappahannock. (search)
or cooked their rations by the bivouac fire. Lt. Wood, the commander of the party, was off on a rec ammunition distributed, and, after prayer by Mr. Wood, the boats were manned. The crews were in fimaking her way directly towards us. From this Lt. Wood naturally supposed we had been seen, and that rapidly and at random. After the first shot Lt. Wood, with all his coolness, was unable to restraiwhenever he came in sight. Late in the night Lt. Wood called the boats alongside his own and gave iessary to divide our forces, and consequently Lt. Wood, in the second cutter, and Lieut. Hudgins, inrds the steamers in line of battle. I was in Mr. Wood's party, in the boat with Lieutenant Hudgins.e sentinel on deck sang out his "boat ahoy."--Mr. Wood answered in some unintelligible words, and throng towards them. We had the starboard bow, Mr. Wood the port. It was a moment of anxiety — almosessel was ours and the crew had surrendered. Lt. Wood, followed by Midshipman-Goodwin, were first u
was hauled taught on board, ropes called up, and guns prepared for a fight. Lieut. Wood was on board the Satellite, and, Mr. Hoge being wounded, Lieut. Hudgins, ther to coal-up intending upon her return to relieve these for the same purpose. Lt. Wood determined, however, to make the most of the little on board. Expecting an enan approaching storm.--Having so little coal, it was impossible to go far; but Lt. Wood started boldly up the bay to see what there was afloat. The waves were every Currituck might have returned during the night and dropped into the anchorage, Lt. Wood sent up a signal light; but it was not answered, and we ran safely inside. gunboats became visible in the distance. Had the weather been favorable Lieut. Wood intended to have run out before the steamers came up; but the pilots decidedd anchor just off the town. Thursday, Aug. 6th. Early in the day Lt. Wood went ashore to report our arrival to the commanding officer. We were very kin
C. S. District Court. --The regular term of the C. S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia, Judge Halyburton presiding, convened pursuant to adjournment in this city yesterday morning. The following cases came up for settlement: A writ of habeas corpus was awarded upon the petition of John F. Brown, praying to be discharged from military service, and the Court decided to hear the case on Thursday. A similar writ was awarded to John S. Horton. Matthew Wood, a minor, was discharged, under petition accompanying a writ of habeas corpus, from the army. A writ of habeas corpus was awarded Zebulon Boon, who prayed to be discharged from the military service upon grounds of illegal detention. Frank Livingston, James Johnston, and Michael Roseberry, appeared, on their petitions for a writ praying to be discharged and claiming to belong to no military organization. Their cases were continued until to-day. T. H. Ellett's petition for a writ of habea