hide Sorting

You can sort these results in two ways:

By entity (current method)
Chronological order for dates, alphabetical order for places and people.
By position
As the entities appear in the document.

You are currently sorting in ascending order. Sort in descending order.

hide Most Frequent Entities

The entities that appear most frequently in this document are shown below.

Entity Max. Freq Min. Freq
United States (United States) 702 0 Browse Search
Doc 416 0 Browse Search
Fredericksburgh (New York, United States) 318 4 Browse Search
Murfreesboro (Tennessee, United States) 263 15 Browse Search
Washington (United States) 238 14 Browse Search
Vicksburg (Mississippi, United States) 229 7 Browse Search
James G. Blunt 163 1 Browse Search
Fitz-Hugh Lee 150 2 Browse Search
Robert L. McCook 149 1 Browse Search
Edgefield (Tennessee, United States) 149 7 Browse Search
View all entities in this document...

Browsing named entities in Rebellion Record: a Diary of American Events: Documents and Narratives, Volume 6. (ed. Frank Moore).

Found 32,323 total hits in 9,538 results.

1 2 3 4 5 6 ...
manding the Irish Brigade. Colonel Stevens's report. headquarters Thirteenth regiment N. H. Vols., opposite Fredericksburgh, Va., December 22, 1862. To His Excellency Nathaniel S. Berry, Governor of New-Hampshire: sir: I have the honor to report to you the operations of the regiment under my command since their departure from Camp Casey, near Fairfax Seminary, Virginia, including the battle of Fredericksburgh, on the thirteenth inst. My regiment moved from Camp Casey on the first inst., with the First brigade of Casey's division, consisting of the Fifteenth Connecticut, Thirteenth New-Hampshire, Twelfth Rhode Island, and Twenty-fifth and Twenty-seventh New-Jersey volunteers, under command of the senior Colonel, Dexter R. Wright, of the Fifteenth Connecticut volunteers. The first day we reached Uniontown, some two miles southerly from Washington City. We encamped the second day near Piscataway, and the third day about six miles northerly from Port Tobacco. We passed
Doc. 27.-battle near Brashear City, La. New-Orleans Delta narrative. off Brashear City, November 4, 1862. dear Delta: We arrived off here on the night of the first, but unfortunately too late to stop the rebels from crossing. There was a great deal of difficulty in getting over the bay, and we felt the want of light-draught vessels very much. The day the Kinsman arrived, Lieut. Buchanan crossed in her, and tried to get the Estrella over, but she grounded. He came up to the mouth of the river, but saw nothing but the Hart, which he chased but could not catch. They got the Estrella and the St. Mary's over the next day, and the following day the Calhoun came up with the Diana. The night of our arrival here, we chased the rebel gunboat Cotten, but she got away from us by her superior speed. The same night was captured the rebel steamer A. B. Sigur. She is a small boat, about the size of the Fancy Natchez, and is very useful. Yesterday all the gunboats went up Bay
thereto. To do this it was needful to cross a narrow causeway leading from the mill through a swamp to the main land — a distance of about four hundred and fifty yards. This high land was heavily wooded, except on the summit, which was cleared and occupied with houses. My men--thirty-four in number — had no sooner passed across the causeway, and through the woods to the clearing beyond, than they were fired on by the enemy, who were posted in the thicket in front and on both sides. On the first fire one man was dangerously wounded, and a momentary panic seized the men, but it was only momentary. They speedily rallied and opened a brisk fire on the places occupied by the concealed enemy. This fire they kept up with great regularity and coolness until ordered by me to retire to the end of the causeway. They retired, firing as they went, with a slowness and deliberateness that could not have been surpassed by veteran troops. Three others were severely wounded while they were retir
artillery in position, and each section supported by a select corpany of riflemen from the Twelfth and Sixteenth Kentucky. In this position they were required to bivouac on their arms and without fires. Near daylight on the morning of the first instant, the reconnoitring party returned with the report that the rebels had left camp. I immediately ordered the column to be in readiness to move, and the march was resumed in the order of the previous night, except the transportation, which was im of our pursuit, and suggesting that he should press on to Columbia — in the event that he should find Morgan in camp at the latter place to quietly await our arrival, which would be some time during the night. By ten o'clock P. M., of the first instant, the obstructions in the road were removed. I then directed that the whole cavalry force under my command should move forward, accompanied by one section of the battery, with instructions to Colonel Boyle that if he should find Morgan in cam
as done. The country was roused. Now for the return. Rumors rife! enemies in our front! enemies in our rear! enemies on our right flank! enemies on our left flank! Bushwhackers popping at us on all sides, while we pursue the even tenor of our way. On Wednesday night, while crossing Holston River at Kingsport, the bushwhackers under Colonel Johnson, of Kentucky notoriety, attacked our advance. A brisk skirmish was kept up for half an hour, without any loss on our side. On the first instant, we recrossed Clinch Mountain through Moccasin Gap. Here, again the bushwhackers commenced, and kept up the fire, until we reached Jonesville, county-seat of Lee County, Va., where we had another brisk skirmish for an hour or so, in which the rebels lost several in killed and wounded; we none. We recrossed Cumberland Mountain, at Hauk's Gap, at three o'clock, January second, safe and sound out of Dixie. The expedition was arranged by the Carter family, exiles from East-Tennessee, co
Doc. 114.-the loss of the Isaac Smith. Report of rear-admiral Du Pont. flag-ship Wabash, Port Royal harbor, S. C., February 3, 1863. sir: On Saturday, when I received information of the affairs off Charleston, referred to in my previous despatch No. 53, there were also vague rumors that two gunboats, holding Stono Inlet, had been engaged, heavy firing having been heard in that direction. At two o'clock A. M. of the first instant, the Commodore McDonough came into Port Royal, and, I regret to say, reported the capture, by three rebel batteries, of the United States steamer Isaac Smith. It appears from Lieutenant Commanding Bacon's reports, herewith inclosed, that on the afternoon of the thirtieth ultimo he sent the Isaac Smith, Acting Lieutenant Conover, up Stono River to make a reconnoissance, as had been frequently done for weeks previous. She passed some miles beyond Legareville without seeing the enemy, and was on her way back; when about a mile above that place,
Doc. 128.-fight at Bradyville, Tenn. Cincinnati Gazette account. Murfreesboro, Tenn., March 4, 1863. the expedition which gained so brilliant an advantage over the enemy near Bradyville, on the first instant, deserves a more extended notice than that which I was able to send you by telegraph. It was well known to our leading officers that a body of rebel cavalry were infesting the country around that town, foraging, plundering, and conscripting. As Bradyville is only a little ven hundred strong, although the detachments of the Third and Fourth Ohio, which mainly engaged the enemy in the ensuing fight, numbered no more than two hundred and fifty men. The whole force marched toward Bradyville on the morning of the first inst., the cavalry in advance, the infantry within supporting distance. About two miles this side of the town the enemy was encountered. His force consisted of Colonel Duke's famous regiment, the Second Kentucky, now under command of Lieutenant-Co
nemy, eleven thousand strong, four miles south of Port Gibson, at two o'clock A. M., on the first instant, and engaged him all day, entirely routing him, with the loss of many killed and about five department of the Tennessee, in the engagement on the night of the thirtieth ultimo and the first instant, near Port Gibson, Mississippi: About midnight I received the order of the General commana vigorous fire, which was continued, without intermission, until three o'clock A. M. of the first instant, when the enemy ceased his fire, and we lay upon our arms, awaiting the tardy coming of daylhe One Hundred and Twentieth Ohio volunteer infantry in the action of Thompson's Hill on the first instant, and with it a list of casualties: About five o'clock A. M. we were ordered to advance ansly won by your valor and endurance. The triumph gained over the enemy near Port Gibson, on the first, was one of the most important of the war. The capture of five cannon and more than one thousand
None place it less than two thousand, while many believe it to have been considerably more. The enemy pursued by the Second Ohio cavalry was composed of Chenault's, Cluke's, and Scott's cavalry. Some say, too, that Phipps's battalion was also there. All commanded by Colonel Chenault. The force upon the right was evidently the command of Pegram, numbering one thousand eight hundred men. Sidney. --Cincinnati Commercial. Rebel account of the battle. Early on the morning of the first instant, Colonel Morrison, then commanding our brigade at Albany, Kentucky, received despatches from Colonel Chenault, at Monticello, to the effect that he was holding the enemy in check, that their force consisted of only three regiments of infantry and one of cavalry, including four pieces of artillery, and if he, Colonel Morrison, would come to their assistance, they could capture the entire command, or run them into the river. Colonel Morrison immediately ordered the brigade in the directio
stance on every occasion. Their courage and services deserve my special acknowledgments. Very respectfully, Orlando H. Morris, Colonel Commanding Sixty-sixth New-York State Volunteers. Lieutenant-Colonel Broady's report. headquarters Sixty-First regiment, N. Y. Vols., camp near Falmouth, Va., May 7, 1863. To Captain G. H. Caldwell, Assistant Adjutant-General, Caldwell's Brigade: Captain: I have the honor of transmitting to you the part this regiment took on the day of the first inst., until eleven o'clock P. M. the same day, when I was ordered to take command of the regiment, Col. N. A. Miles being detailed as general officer of the day, and in command of the line of pickets in front of the division. The regiment was then drawn up in line of battle in the woods, with the One Hundred and Forty-eighth Pennsylvania volunteers on its right, and the Twenty-second Massachusetts volunteers on its left. While here it had been exposed in the fore part of the evening to a sho
1 2 3 4 5 6 ...