hide Sorting

You can sort these results in two ways:

By entity
Chronological order for dates, alphabetical order for places and people.
By position (current method)
As the entities appear in the document.

You are currently sorting in ascending order. Sort in descending order.

hide Most Frequent Entities

The entities that appear most frequently in this document are shown below.

Entity Max. Freq Min. Freq
Massachusetts (Massachusetts, United States) 58 0 Browse Search
Charles D. Elliot 30 4 Browse Search
Robert Vinal 26 4 Browse Search
John H. Dusseault 25 1 Browse Search
Millers (Massachusetts, United States) 24 0 Browse Search
John Endicott 22 0 Browse Search
Thomas 20 0 Browse Search
United States (United States) 20 0 Browse Search
Matthew Cradock 20 0 Browse Search
Winter Hill (Massachusetts, United States) 20 0 Browse Search
View all entities in this document...

Browsing named entities in a specific section of Historic leaves, volume 6, April, 1907 - January, 1908. Search the whole document.

Found 205 total hits in 146 results.

1 2 3 4 5 6 ...
White Oak Swamp (Virginia, United States) (search for this): chapter 10
vania. This lasted a half-hour, after which we were ordered to fall in and stack arms. At 6 p. m. we were on the march again till 10.30 that night, when we halted for supper. This was a fine day, but pretty hot. June 13. We resumed our march at 1 a. m., and crossed the Chickahominy near Long Bridge on pontoons just before daylight. There was some slight skirmishing. At 6 a. m. we marched for two hours, covering about two miles only, and formed in line of battle. We were now in White Oak Swamp, between the James River and the Chickahominy, and the skirmishing was lively. While the enemy were shelling us we threw up breastworks. It seems that they had charged on the right of our division in the forenoon, and our Third Brigade had given way, but we managed to hold our line. Our division was alone here, as the balance of our corps was some distance in the rear. General Grant behind us was rushing his whole army across the peninsula to the James, while we in front were makin
North Anna (Virginia, United States) (search for this): chapter 10
on we again moved to the left, marching thirteen miles to Guniess Station. Heavy firing ahead of us. The whole army has left Spottsylvania now, and our corps is in the rear. A very hot day. May 22. After a good sleep, we turned out at 3 a. m., lay under arms till 11 a. m., when we marched twelve to fifteen miles, as far as Bull's Church. A very hot day again. We find ourselves out of rations. May 23. Turned out at 4 a. m., marched at 5.30, about twelve miles, and halted near North Anna River. This was at 10 o'clock. At 3 in the afternoon we crossed this river. About a half-hour later, when part of our corps was over, Hill's Rebel Corps charged us. The river here has high banks on both sides, in some places thirty to fifty feet high, so that we could not retreat without heavy loss, Our opponents came within six or eight feet of us, then broke and went for some woods. We pursued, but as it grew dark we fell back out of the woods for fear of an ambush. Company E had two me
Maine (Maine, United States) (search for this): chapter 10
etailed on picket for forty-eight hours, beginning after dark. All quiet until midnight, when the enemy began a heavy cannonading on our right. July 24. Cool and pleasant, all quiet until 4 p. m., when the enemy opened on us with their artillery. We didn't make much of a reply, as we were sawing wood. They shelled our skirmish line some, which was unusual. One shell passed directly over my head and struck behind me, but fortunately did not explode. That night three men of my detail, Maine men, were wounded. The heaviest firing was at 6 p. m., as it rained hard till morning. We had a rough night. July 25. They shelled us again to-day, but no one was hit. (Our opponents must have had very poor powder, for many of their shells refused to explode.) I was relieved at 8 p. m., and returned to the fort and regiment. The enemy threw a shell into our fort to-day for the first time. July 26. We turned out at 6. Beautiful weather. The Second Corps moved out of the line to m
Spottsylvania (Virginia, United States) (search for this): chapter 10
nderstood that our division was the advance of the Army of the Potomac from the Battle of the Wilderness till that of Spottsylvania, and this was the beginning of the movement which led up to the latter conflict. Those who took our places kept up the skirmish while we were marched off towards Spottsylvania. We started at 9 p. m., and began one of those famous left-hand flank movements of General Grant's. We marched all night, and halted at 5 a. m. on May 8. At 6 o'clock we were near Alsop'say, but expecting an attack. The enemy, however, made no demonstration. Had a good night's sleep. We were still at Spottsylvania, for our progress had been in a circular direction. The town, which consisted of a court house and a few other buildain moved to the left, marching thirteen miles to Guniess Station. Heavy firing ahead of us. The whole army has left Spottsylvania now, and our corps is in the rear. A very hot day. May 22. After a good sleep, we turned out at 3 a. m., lay und
Fort Sedgwick (Colorado, United States) (search for this): chapter 10
e enemy kept up a heavy cannonading nearly all night. I turned in at midnight. July 21. Turned out at 5. I am on fatigue duty again. About dusk the enemy cannonade us, and keep it up the greater part of the night. They were peppering Fort Sedgwick (Hell). July 22. Not much doing all day. We turned in and slept well all night. July 23. We turned out at 5 a. m. Cool, pleasant weather. I am detailed on picket for forty-eight hours, beginning after dark. All quiet until midnight, a terrible explosion right in front of us. A tunnel four hundred and ninety feet long had been dug to a point under a Rebel fort, since known as the Crater. It was blown up with about two hundred and fifty men. This fort was at the right of Fort Sedgwick—our right. This was a signal for all the guns on our side to open, and the cannonading was terrible. This lasted till 8 a. m. Our Ninth Corps rushed up and took the Rebel fort and their works, but about 9 p. m. the enemy re-took them. Besi
Richmond (Virginia, United States) (search for this): chapter 10
ouse, not far from the James. During this time the Second Corps was crossing the river. We remained here, out of rations, the rest of the day, and turned in for a cool and comfortable night at 8 p. m. The next day, also, we kept this position, and nothing worthy of record happened, except that we drew four days rations, and by 6 p. m. the Second Corps had finished crossing the river. June 16. We were turned out at 2 a. m. for a march of about three miles, and halted at the banks of the James. Our brigade crossed on the transport General Howard, and by 9 we were landed on the southern side. The Seventh Massachusetts were just about taking transports for home, as their term of service had expired. Our men had a bath in the James River, the first since May 3. At the least calculation, five thousand men were in the water with me. At 4 o'clock that afternoon marching was resumed until 10.30 p. m., when we halted in some woods and had supper. Ten miles must have been covered. (W
Oldhouse Landing (Virginia, United States) (search for this): chapter 10
Another day of quiet. Once in a while we hear the boom of a cannon, but it does not trouble us. The enemy are within one-half mile of our front. Doubtless some of their troops, as well as our own, were in motion somewhere, but we did not know of it. June 10. We lay in our works all day; received a mail from home; turned in at 10 p. m. June 11. We were called out at 3 in the morning, to march at 6, a distance of eight miles. We halted at 11 a. m. near Bottom's Bridge, on the Chickahominy River. Company B and Company H (mine) were detached for picket, and were stationed two miles from the bridge. I wrote hone and enclosed a Richmond Whig of May 20. (It is to-day in a good state of preservation.) June 12. We returned from picket at 11 a. m., and our regiment had an inspection by the brigade commander, Colonel Peter Lyle, of the Ninetieth Pennsylvania. This lasted a half-hour, after which we were ordered to fall in and stack arms. At 6 p. m. we were on the march again t
New Castle, Ky. (Kentucky, United States) (search for this): chapter 10
alted for breakfast. At 11 a. m. the march was resumed. (All this marching was a left flank movement.) At 7 p. m. we arrived at Hanover town. This ended a hard march of twenty-two hours. We had not had our clothes off in twenty-four days. No one thought of washing his face much less of taking a bath. It can be imagined in what a filthy condition we were. This state of things lasted from May 4 to June 16. May 28. We turned out at 4 and marched at (6, crossing the Pemunky River near Newcastle. We halted three miles from the river, built breastworks, and passed the night. Richmond was about fifteen miles from us. May 29. The march was resumed at 10 a. m., and two miles were covered. Our regiment passed along the line of works to the extreme left, to guard some crossroads; here breastworks were constructed, and the regiment went on picket. It added to the discomfiture that we were out of rations. May 30. The regiment came off picket duty and rejoined the brigade, whic
— Bigelow (search for this): chapter 10
l), which our men called Fort Damnation, was opposite. In building our fort, we dug a trench twenty feet wide and ten feet deep, and threw up the rampart on the inside. Thus there was eighteen or twenty feet of banking. The fort was dug square and with a diagonal through it. We had a magazine in the fort, and two wells were dug for supplying the men with water. Besides our brigade, we had with us the Ninth Massachusetts Battery, which suffered so terribly at Gettysburg. It was known as Bigelow's. July 13. We turned out at 6 a. m. I was detailed for fatigue duty with sixty men from 3 to 6 p. m. This was the length of time the men would work upon the fort, when another squad would take their places. The work went on at night full as rapidly as by day. July 14. I was detailed for fatigue duty again at midnight (morning), and worked till 3 a. m., when the whole brigade turned out, expecting an attack. But everything remained quiet, and we turned in at 9 p. m. The veterans a
John Haskell Butler (search for this): chapter 10
thus gradually regained the regiment, where we went to building earthworks. About 7 p. m. we moved to the left into an open field, where we threw up a new line of works. This made the eighteenth line of breastworks since we started on this campaign, May 3. This is known as the battle of Cold Harbor. We were more fortunate than the Second and Eighteenth Corps (Hancock's and Baldy Smith's), which had the brunt of the battle. It will be remenbered that the Eighteenth Corps was part of General Butler's army which joined us here, coming up from the South. Both corps were on our left. There was a terrible fight on all that day till 9 p, m. We could hear the roar of it all. The Union loss was about ten thousand men. Later General Grant acknowledged that the attack of Cold Harbor was a mistake. June 2. At daybreak minie balls began to fly over our heads. Our skirmish line advanced and drove the enemy into the woods. About 6 o'clock that morning they charged Cutler's Division of o
1 2 3 4 5 6 ...