hide Matching Documents

The documents where this entity occurs most often are shown below. Click on a document to open it.

Document Max. Freq Min. Freq
The Daily Dispatch: March 16, 1865., [Electronic resource] 1 1 Browse Search
View all matching documents...

Your search returned 39 results in 18 document sections:

1 2
Col. J. Stoddard Johnston, Confederate Military History, a library of Confederate States Military History: Volume 9.1, Kentucky (ed. Clement Anselm Evans), Chapter 6: (search)
nding company, and Acting Lieutenant White, of that regiment, were killed; while Captain Bowman, Adjutant McGoodwin and Lieutenants Ross and Ridgeway were wounded. Later the brigade had a prolonged contest with a heavy force of Ohio and Iowa troops, and drove them with a charge, the Kentucky troops singing their battle song, Cheer, boys, cheer; we'll march away to battle, and driving everything before them. The loss was heavy, Captains Ben Desha and John W. Caldwell being severely, and Adjt. Wm. Bell, of the Ninth Kentucky, mortally wounded. In the same regiment Capt. James R. Bright, Lieut. J. L. Moore and R. M. Lemmons were wounded. In the Fourth Kentucky, Capt. John A. Adair, Lieut. John Bird Rogers, commanding company, and Lieut. Robert Dunn, were severely wounded, while Capt. W. Lee Harned, of the Sixth Kentucky, was mortally wounded. This success led soon after to the capture of General Prentiss' Federal command, and by a happy conjunction, just as Colonel Trabue entered the
Southern Historical Society Papers, Volume 24. (ed. Reverend J. William Jones), chapter 1.42 (search)
The Fayetteville Arsenal and Armory was located on what is known as Hay Mount, which overlooks the historic old city of Fayetteville, and was constructed by the United States Government previous to the war, under the immediate supervision of Mr. William Bell, as architect; but in charge of various army officers of high distinction as commandants of the post. It was one of the loveliest spots anywhere in the South, and was very often visited by strangers from various States, and greatly admired.-factory, containing all of the rifle-works brought from Harper's Ferry, Va., and handsome frame dwellings for various officers' quarters. With the exception of these last, all the other buildings were constructed of brick, trimmed with stone. Mr. Bell continued during the entire war as architect of all buildings, and was a Scotchman of national reputation. Some 100 yards from the rifle-factory were two large brick magazines for storage of powder and fixed ammunition. Old officers. Th
f £ 15 O. T. March 7, 1747-8, Deacon William Brown was granted £ 16 10s. for teaching a school in the north part of the town. August 28, 1749, the expenses of a funeral in old tenor were for Coffin £ 4 10s. Carrying to grave £ 3 10s. ringing Bell 18s. Paul £ 1, eight pairs of gloves £ 7 4s. In 1751 Mr. Matthew Bridge, being present at a town-meeting, gave the town £ 1 6s. 8d. as a gift in consideration of his congregating with them. At the town-meeting March 25, 1737-8, the town voteeral Jonathan Coolidge. His father Jonathan lived here before him in a very ancient house. The mansion house of Theodore Lyman still remains, valued with two acres of land in 1798 at $8,000. The Bell House, so called, built and occupied by William Bell, his gardener, stood north-east of the mansion house near the deer park, and was valued at $300. The old Livermore house stood north-east of the mansion house, and was occupied by Mark Vose, in the employ of Mr. Lyman, and was valued at $560.
s. John G. Blair, 16 pairs gloves for N. W. Mrs. George Hannah, 11 pairs socks, 1 pair gloves. Arthur McClash, contribution $5. Contributions for soldiers' Lodge. Lewis D. Crenshaw$25 00 Richard Meade25 00 R. B. Haxall25 00 Ginter, Alvey & Arents25 00 Dunlop, Moncure & Co25 00 Kent, Paine & Co25 00 John A. Lancaster & Co25 00 Wm. Ira Smith25 00 Ellet and Drewry25 00 L. Nunnally20 00 Bacon & Baskerville20 00 John C. Robson20 00 Lieut. Quinan20 00 Alfred Moses15 00 John Dunnivant10 00 S. M. Price & Co10 00 Ellet & Weisiger10 00 George J. Sumner10 00 Rev. A. E. Dickinson10 00 S. L. Johnson5 00 W. Peterson5 00 James Woodhouse5 00 Dr. George N. Skipwith5 00 William Bell5 00 Chas. E. Kent5 00 Cash2 00 Ladies Aid Society109 00 Contributions intended for the Soldiers" Ledge, or for the sick and wounded soldiers, can be left with the members of the Army Committee, as follows: W. P. Manford, at office of J. M. & K. Company; J. and Jas. near
intended next morning, but the Yankees, unwilling to risk an open fight, moved off during the night in the direction of Tupelo. A strong rear guard being left, it was some time before their movement was discovered. Part of our forces were sent in pursuit of the enemy, and the rest endeavored to cut him off from Tupelo; but when this force reached the point of intersection of the two roads, it was found that the Federal had already passed most of their trains and secured a strong position. Bell's brigade, of Buford's division, being the first to arrive, charged the enemy; but being flanked on both sides, was compelled to fall back. Our loss in this charge was heavy, especially in officers. The enemy then moved on to Harrisburg, a small village two miles west of Tupelo. Here they spent the night in fortifying, and well did they improve the time. A strong position was selected, to reach which our troops had to pass over an open field, exposed to the deadly fire of the enemy's
H. Ellis acting as chairman, the following officers were elected: William P. Munford, President. H. E. C. Baskerville, Treasurer. William H. Pleasants, Secretary. James L. Maury, Threctors. Dr. William H. Gwathmey, Threctors. William Bell, Threctors. the Directory were requested to consider the various subjects proposed for action, and report to a called meeting of the Committee. the following gentlemen compose the Relief Committee. H. E. C. Baskerville, WilliaWilliam Bell, Dr. C. G. Barney, Wm. H. Clemmitt, Robert J. Christian, Lewis D. Crenshaw, J. R. Chamberlayne, W. H. Denerson, Dr. G. H. Ellerson, Thomas H. Ellis, Dr. Wm. H. Gwathmey, George Gibson, P. H. Gibson, James Gordon, Blackburn Hughes, Abner F. Harvey, Samuel J. Harrison, Judge Wm. H. Lyons, J. L. Maury, Wm. P. Munford, Thomas W. McCance, P. Cary Nicholas, Samuel M. Price, Wm. H. Pleasants, J. D. K. Sleight, John Randolph Tucker, Asa Snyder,
is course, and another pilot boat hove in sight on our port bow. As the other had done, she bore down for us unsuspiciously until near enough to make out the ensign, when she hauled on the wind and run. These pilot boats are fast sailers, and the chase was exciting. At first we had but nine pounds of steam, and the schooner held her own very well, but as the steam increased we gained rapidly, and finally brought her round by a shot from the bow gun. This was Pilot boat "No. 24; " or, the William Bell--one of the finest vessels I have ever seen. Everything about her was fitted up in elegant style and in perfect order. Mahogany berths, rosewood panels, fine carpets, damask curtains, and broad lace trimmings on beds; silver, crockery, and, in fine, everything on board was of the best and costliest description. Built only three years ago, the "24" cost $16,000 in sold; and the fitting up, $1,000 more. We found two passengers on board, an old gentleman out for his health, and a New Yor
he Association, and illustrative of the great benefits to result from this mode of kindling the fires of an ardent and triumphant patriotism, all over the Confederate States. Twenty thousand dollars were promptly contributed, before the meeting adjourned, towards the expenses of publication. The Finance Committee will wait on the citizens generally, for their contributions in aid of the fundable objects of the Association. It is to be hoped, that no one who appreciates the crisis, or has at heart the inestimable boon for which we have so long contended, for which so much treasure has been expended, and for which so much precious blood has been shed, will fail to give liberally when called upon. The officers of the Association are Dr. Burrows, President, J. Randolph Tucker and Rev. James M. Duncan, Vice Presidents, Messrs. Wm. Bell, Samuel P. Harrison and Wm. G. Paine, Finance Committee, Messrs. John P. Ballard, John O. Steger and Thomas Johnston, Committee of Distribution.
1 2