hide Matching Documents

The documents where this entity occurs most often are shown below. Click on a document to open it.

Document Max. Freq Min. Freq
View all matching documents...

Your search returned 61 results in 18 document sections:

1 2
21 Nov. 1780; styled Jr., and sometimes called Money John—marriage fee $25. He and w. Susanna o. c. Pct. ch. 4 Feb. 1781. Had Susanna, hap. 4 Mar. 1781, m. Amos Warren, Jr., of Charlestown, 19 Dec. 1802; Anna, b. 25 Jan., bap. 2 Feb. 1783, m. Lathrop Perkins, 16 Apr. 1809; John (see par. 23); Jonathan, bap. 1 Mar. 1789; Asa, bapm Weston to Chas. Oct. 1785, and were in Chas. census 1789—Wyman. He m. Elizabeth Whittemore, 25 Nov. 1773. Elizabeth, wid. of Amos, d. 31 May, 1842, a. 88. Amos Warren was a Pct. committeeman and assessor 1784, 1785. See Wyman, 995. 3. Amos, s. of Amos (2) of Chas., m. Susanna Frost, 19 Dec. 1802. He had Elizabeth Abbot a b. 6, bap. 8 May, 1748; a dau., b. and d. 3 Dec. 1749; Elizabeth, b. 7, bap. 10 Nov. 1751, d. 13 Mar. 1753, a. 17 mos.; Elizabeth, b. 20, bap. 28 Oct. 1753, m. Amos Warren, 25 Nov. 1773; Nathan, b. 17, bap. 20 Nov. 1757; Jonathan, b. 4, bap. 14 Nov. 1762; Josiah, b. 4, bap. 9 Dec. 1764. See Wyman, 1027. He was Pct. treasurer, 178
Brothers serving in the War for the Union, to their Family at Home in West Cambridge, Mass. (Cambridge, printed for private circulation, 1871), Riverside, Cambridge. Printed by H. O. Houghton & Co. Pp. 168. is deserving of high commendation. It is the record of Warren H. Freeman, who served as a soldier in the Thirteenth and afterward in the Thirty-ninth Massachusetts Regiments, and his brother Eugene H. Freeman, who was an engineer in the transport service, sons of Mr. J. D. Freeman. Warren H. joined Company A, 13th Mass. Regiment, in Maryland, on the third day after leaving home on Dec. 1, 1861, and his first letter from the army is dated Dec. 21. He was then engaged in campaigning in Virginia. Received a corporal's warrant some weeks before April 13, 1863, was made prisoner at Gettysburg, Pa, first day of the series of battles July, 1863, and afterward paroled; promoted to sergeant, warrant dated July 1, 1864; transferred to Co. A, 39th Regt., and discharged Sept. 13, 1864,
Gould, Lieut., made prisoner, April 19, 1775, 63, 64, 77, 81 Grant by certain inhabitants of Charlestown to President of Harvard College, 8; to West Cambridge, of all lands belonging to the Proprietors of Cambridge, 20; to Widow Rolfe, to make a dam above old mill pond, 12, 14, 16 Great Road to Concord, allowance for highway, 9; Swamp by Menotomy River, allotments near, 9 Guide posts, 143 Hall of Thomas Russell, 111 Hayscales, 117, 140 Hearse, 113, 117, 143 Heath and Warren, Generals, in action of April 19, 1775, 65, 78, 79; comments of former on the battle, 79 Hedge, Rev. Frederic H., ordination and dismissal of, 117-119 High School, 158, 165, 209 Highway to Menotomy before 1636, 6 Hiram Lodge, 166 Hogreeves for Menotomy, 1692, 1695, 9 Horse Railroad, 166 Hospitals in Menotomy in 1775, 78, 83 House of Jason Russell at Menotomy April 19, 1775, 67-69, 71, 72, 75 Ice business and John Hill, 146; and railroads, 146, 147; first ice carried
e, 249, 312 Tynan, 345 Underwood, 172,299,312, 328 Usher, 296 Vaughan, 14 Verry, 220 Victorine, 347 Vila, 243, 312 Viles, 238, 308, 312 Vinton, 251 Wade, 14, 202 Wainwright, 257, 312 Wait and Waitt, 219,261, 312 Wakefield, 262, 312 Waldo, 154,172, 177, 228 Waldron, 237, 312 Walker, 119, 178, 189, 199, 297, 313, 330 Wallis, 67, 70 Walton, 270, 272, 273, 313 Ward, 343 Ware, 120, 172, 174, 226 Warland, 20, 286, 313 Warner, 164 Warren, 65, 83, 100. 112, 143, 144, 145, 167-69, 175, 194, 231, 247, 266, 276, 285, 298, 299, 306, 313, 317, 339 Warrior (Negro). 313 Warrow (or Worrow), 313 Washington, 83, 99, 10 8, 157, 162, 185, 225, 231, 270 Watson, 19, 59, 79, 83, 95, 107, 110, 199, 210, 269, 300, 304, 313, 331 Watts, 239, 304, 314 Webb, 67, 237, 314 Webber, 216, 276, 298, 314 Webecowit, 6 Weeks, 299, 314 Welch, 18, 76, 289 Wellington and Willington, 19, 27, 83, 93, 97, 105,110, 112, 113,117-1
f the Boston and Lowell railroad at West Medford lived there afterward. He was known as Dontey Green. This house was destroyed by the great tornado. A few rods beyond lived Eleazar Usher, in the house owned by his brother-in-law, Leonard Bucknam. Uncle Leonard was the keeper of the almshouse. Opposite lived Major Gershom Teel and afterward Captain Joseph Wyatt. This house, occupied quite recently by Mr. William J. Cheney, is standing in 1905. Just below the Usher house lived Deacon Amos Warren. Warren street was cut through the deacon's estate and named in his honor. Later Mr. Reed, father of Rebecca Reed, whose story of ill treatment brought about the destruction of the nunnery at Charlestown, lived in the Warren house. Just beyond Whitmore brook, on the north side of the street, lived Captain Samuel Teel. This house is standing (1905) on the westerly corner of Brooks street. A few rods east—on the easterly corner of Allston street as now built—was a house occupied by
By some change in family fortune William was placed in the care of his paternal grandfather, Amos Warren of Medford, at the age of six years, in 1820, and lived with him eight years. Amos Warren Amos Warren came from old Menotomy (then the west parish of Cambridge), now Arlington, in an early year of the century, and bought a small farm in the western part of Medford on the side of a hill, with an orchhine work in his native town. But this was a winter work. Like other New England farmers, Amos Warren believed in the gospel of hard work, and so six months of the year William Wilkins became an aid for his tuition by work in and about the place. During his stay in Medford, his grandsire Warren had as tenants in his house a Mr. Reed and family. He mentions enjoying much the society of thid followed his employers into that garden-seed business which still continues in Boston. Of Mr. Warren's subsequent successful business life in the Danish West India Islands we need not here allude
Medford Historical Society Papers, Volume 22., History told by names of streets. (search)
s named for Hon. Edward Brooks, as was the new schoolhouse erected beside it in 1851. Cottage, probably from the type of houses there erected; Mystic, because of its trend from Mystic mount (now Hastings heights), toward the river. Auburn, Allston, Irving and Prescott are sentimental, reflecting the cultivated and literary taste of Rev. John Pierpont and Charles Brooks. Woburn street was, of course, the old Oborne rode of the early days. Warren street extends through the old farm of Amos Warren, and the newer Wyman street through the old Wyman estate. Gleason street adjoins the Gleason school, both named for Hon. Daniel A. Gleason of the school committee. Madison street was one of the later streets, and probably suggested by James Madison Usher, a namesake of President Madison. Usher road lies within the limits of his former estate, while Gorham, Clewley, Chardon and Wheelwright are those of relatives of the Brooks family, whose land they traverse. Century road was laid out
e of present railway station. As he told this in 1903 and the present station was built in 1891, and this house is shown on the Fuller plan of 1854, it indicates some later changes. This was his only allusion to the railroad, which was opened in 1835, and whose first station house, Medford Gates, was on the east of the tracks, near High street. He mentioned next the house owned by Leonard Bucknam, occupied by his brother-in-law, Eleazer Usher; and just below the Usher house lived Deacon Amos Warren. Warren street was cut through his farm and named in his honor. We have been thus explicit in quoting Mr. Smith's words, as they are good history. He began his account with Wear bridge, which in his boyhood was at the Charlestown line the Medford selectmen named as the end of High street. Mr. Smith mentioned no other house across High street till that of Major Gershom Teel, later that of Captain Joseph Wyatt. This was at the corner of Canal lane. An event has recently occurr
1 2