(Amelia) Umbria, Italy.
A mumcipium on a tributary of the Tiber founded, according to
Cato (Plin. HN
3.114), in 1134 B.C. It was inscribed in
the tribus Clustumina and supplied fruit and osiers to
the Roman market. The site is naturally strong, improved
by impressive fortifications of polygonal masonry. There
is considerable variation in the work, with much coursing, and in places most blocks are quadrilateral.
South of the city was found in 1963 a complete bronze
cuirass statue thought to be Germanicus. Antiquities from
the site are kept in the Palazzo Comunale.
1 (1958) 317 (C. Pietrangeli &
U. Ciotti); AA
85 (1970) 318 (H. Blanck).
L. RICHARDSON, JR.