(Zlatna) Alba, Romania.
of the imperial gold mining administration, important
commercial center, and probably customs office, the
ancient town spread SE of the present town as far as
Patrinjeni. The remains of ancient gold mining operations
can be seen even today: there are traces of buildings, and
of a rectangular water reservoir and its supply channels
ca. 4 km from Zlatna, on the NW slope of Mt. Breaza.
The settlement, epigraphically attested from the time
of Trajan, was the seat of the procurator of the gold
mines, M. Ulpius Hermias (CIL
III, 1312), whose epitaph
was found here. During the reign of Septimius Severus
the town became a municipium (CIL
III, 1308, 1293). It
has not yet been systematically investigated.
The town had economic and administrative connections
with Apulum (Alba Iulia) and a great many mining
settlements developed around it. The area was defended
by detachments of Legio XIII Gemina and by a Numerus
Maurorum Hisp. . . .
In the Boteş and Corabia hills, incineration necropoleis, both of colonists and of Dacian natives, have been
Rich epigraphical and archaeological material have
been found; many inscriptions refer to the organization
of gold mining operations, and to the religious beliefs of
the miners, who were ethnically heterogeneous. The archaeological material is in the History Museum of Transylvania in Cluj and in the Alba Iulia Regional Museum.
D. Tudor, Oraş tîrguri şi sate în Dacia romana
(1968) 183-90; D. Protase, Riturile funerare la
daci şi daco-romani