(Călan) Hunedoara, Romania.
important civil settlement and health resort on a terrace
of the Strei river NW of the present town. The name appears as Hydata in Ptolemy (3.8.4). The site, called
pagus Aquensis, belonged to the territory of Ulpia
Traiana Sarmizegetusa and was ruled by a praefectus,
who was at the same time the decurion of Sarmizegetusa.
All that remains is a basin at a water source, and
traces of the imperial road to Ulpia Traiana Sarmizegetusa. The camp traces are uncertain. The neighboring
quarry was used in antiquity.
Among important inscriptions discovered was one from
A.D. 161, in honor of the governor P. Furius Saturninus
III, 1412), and tiles and bricks bearing the seals of
Legio XIII Gemina.
V. Christescu, Viaţa economică a Daciei
(1929) 102; D. Tudor, Oraşe, tîirguri şi sate în Dacia romană