The Roman fort at Dalginross, 8 km W of Crieff, is square and
measures 246 m (1.65 ha). Although unexcavated, it is
presumably one of the chain of stations built in the late
1st c. A.D. to defend Strathmore against attacks by the
Highland tribesmen. An earthwork, 4 ha in extent, which
completely encloses the fort, may be either an annex or
an earlier Flavian fort. A short distance to the S there
is a large temporary camp of the Agricolan type.
W. Roy, The Military Antiquities of the
Romans in Britain
(1793) pl. xi; JRS
59 (1969) 109.
K. A. STEER