previous next

DEMIR KAPIJA Yugoslavia.

The name, meaning Iron Gates, is applied to the narrow pass through which the Vardar (ancient Axius) flows, ca. 24 km S of Stobi in Macedonia. High, sheer cliffs rise above the Vardar at this point and there is a small town, also called Demir Kapija, just NW of the cliffs near the modern highway.

Stenai, mentioned by Strabo (8.329.4) and other ancient writers, may have been located here. Fortifications and house walls of the pre-Greek settlement have been found near the narrows above the right bank of the river; and walls, perhaps of a watch station, are known on the cliffs above the left bank. Near the former area, but lower along the river terrace, several graves containing Greek vessels of the 5th and 4th c. B.C. have been excavated.

The Roman and Early Christian community was a few km farther to the SW along the Boşava river where a small Christian basilica (probably 6th c.) has been excavated. A number of graves of the 4th to 6th c., as well as burials of the mediaeval period, were excavated in the vicinity. Earlier Roman funeral monuments were also found near the basilica.


F. Papazoglu, Makedonski gradovi u rimsko doba (1957); B. Aleksova, Demir Kapija (1966).


hide Display Preferences
Greek Display:
Arabic Display:
View by Default:
Browse Bar: