previous next

GASK RIDGE Perthshire, Scotland.

The ridge runs for 25 km at ca. 60-90 m above sea level, NE towards Perth. There have been excavations recently on the Roman road running along this ridge and at three of the Roman signal stations, Gask House, Parkneuk of Roundlaw.

Gask House had a wooden tower ca. 3 m square, enclosed within a clay bank with a ditch outside. There was only one entrance causeway, in the N side of the ditch, facing the Roman road. The plan of the Parkneuk signal station was almost an exact duplicate. No pottery was found at Parkneuk, but Gask House yielded a mortarium fragment undoubtedly of late 1st c. date.

At least 11 signal stations, ca. 1.3 km apart, are now known on the Gask Ridge. Earlier and recent excavations suggest that they all had a similar plan. Some lay on the N side of the Roman road, some on the S, but they each had an entrance facing the road, which was over 5 m wide. They formed a chain of signaling towers installed in connection with or as a result of Agricola's campaigns in Scotland, A.D. 80-84.


Discovery and Excavation, Scotland (1966) 37; (1967) 37; (1968) 28-29; (1969) 38; (1942) 33.


hide Display Preferences
Greek Display:
Arabic Display:
View by Default:
Browse Bar: