Carian village near Ovacik,
12 km S-SE of Çine. It is unknown to history, identifiable by the fact that the name is written on the rocks
and buildings more than 20 times. The village center is
on the E hill, which carries a remarkable group of monuments. Most conspicuous is a small but well-preserved
temple, with a roof constructed in imitation of woodwork; the pediment over the door is inscribed with the
name Gergas. Close by are two tapering stelai over 3 m
high, again inscribed Gergas, between which stood a
colossal statue now overthrown. A little to the W is another statue, 4 m high, lying on its face. Not far away
is a group of ruined houses and a street lined with walls.
Lower down is a curious sloping rock with flat top,
inscribed Gerga Enbolo, which was perhaps a speaker's
platform. On the W hill is a third fallen statue, also over
life-size, inscribed on the breast with the name Gerga. A
number of small square buildings about 2 m high, roofed
and open in front, have been thought to be tombs, but
are perhaps more probably fountain houses. It is supposed that Gergas is the name of a local deity.
G. Cousin, BCH
24 (1900) 28-31; A.
Laumonier, ibid. 58 (1934) 304-7; 60 (1936) 286-97;
G. E. Bean, AnatSt
19 (1969) 179-82; id., Turkey beyond the Maeander
G. E. BEAN