previous next

IKARIA Attica, Greece.

On the N side of Mt. Pendeli, in a valley between it and the peak Stamatovouni farther N, lies the village of Dionyso, just E of which are the remains of the public center of the deme of Ikaria (or Ikarion), the reputed home of both drama and Thespis (Ath. 2.40 and Suidas, s.v. Θέσπις), the identification made certain by the discovery of several deme decrees.

The excavated area is small, and most of the remains are tenuous. But one can make out an open area, the agora, with public buildings—one a pythion—and monuments grouped about. To the S of the agora is a small theater, its rectangular orchestra limited on one side by five stone prohedriai and bases for stelai, and on the other by a terrace. These austere arrangements may belong to the 4th c. B.C., or possibly earlier because an inscription of the 5th c. B.C. (IG 12 186-87) attests the existence at that time in Ikaria of organized festivals. Further associations with Dionysos can be seen, not only in the name of the village, but in two archaic marble sculptures—a mask and a seated figure of the god, both from the excavated area.


C. D. Buck, “Discoveries in the Attic Deme of Ikaria in 1888,” AJA 4 (1888) 421-26; 5 (1889) 9-33, 154-81, 304-19, 461-77; W. Wrede, “Der Maskengott,” AM 43 (1928) 67-70; O.A.W. Dilke, “Details and Chronology of Greek Theatre Caveas,” BSA 45 (1950) 30-31.


hide Display Preferences
Greek Display:
Arabic Display:
View by Default:
Browse Bar: