Dept. Vienne, France.
Situated near and on the Tours-Poitiers road on the left bank
of the Clain. Important remains were first noted in 1875
and have been excavated on different occasions since
then. The Jaulnay church seems to have been built on
the site of a huge bath building whose floors were paved
with mosaics in black and white geometric designs:
lozenges framed in rectangles or with borders. The tesserae are 6-8 mm on each side. Some large substructures
were uncovered on the site in 1953 S of the church when
mains were being laid, but they could not be explored
further. There were walls of mortared rubble with a facing of small blocks, and some arched drains. The walls
were decorated with frescos with a design of stylized
palmettes and bouquets of eglantine. The walls had a
glazed surface, apparently to give a watertight bond to
rooms intended to hold water.
What may have been baths belonging to a villa, or
Roman foundations, were discovered in 1888 some 800 m
away, on the other side of Route Nationale No. 10.
The foundations of a peripteral temple 7.70 m sq have
also been excavated. The cella was ringed with 12 fluted
and cabled columns, one of which is still standing at the
side of the road; it came from the site of the temple,
250 m to the W. Four steps led to the temple entrance,
which was to the E.
12.1 (1954) 177-81IP