A city on the
E bank of the Nile, 168 km S of Thebes. It reached its
glory during the Ptolemaic period and became the capital of the Ombite nome, which extended S to Elephantine. Its Graeco-Roman temple is unusual in that it is a double building dedicated to the cults of two gods, Sobek
the crocodile god and Haroeris with the falcon's head.
A. Weigall, A guide to the Antiquities
of Upper Egypt
(1913) 374-90. Plan of the temple on
p. 381; Porter & Moss, Top. Bibl., VI. Upper Egypt:
; E. Brunner-Traut & V.