previous next

PALAIOKHORA (“Kalamyde”) Selinos, Crete.

Roman, and possibly earlier, settlement 1 km NE of the modern village. Remains on the site are confined to a heavy scatter of sherds, but a short distance to the NE are the remains of a fort built to defend Kantanos from the W. Traces of the defense wall, ending in a hollow circular bastion with inside entrance can be seen here.


R. Pashley, Travels in Crete II (1837) 84; L. Savignoni, “Esplorazione archeologica delle provincie occidentali di Crete,” MonAnt 11 (1901) 387P; M.S.F. Hood, “Some Ancient Sites in South West Crete,” BSA 62 (1967) 48-49M.


hide Display Preferences
Greek Display:
Arabic Display:
View by Default:
Browse Bar: