previous next


The resort of Les Lecques (commune of Saint-Cyr), located between La Ciotat (Citharista) and Toulon (Telo Martius), has been identified as the Massaliot settlement of Tauroention, but the remains found in situ are no earlier than the Roman occupation. Essentially the site consists of a very large villa, excavated in the 18th c. It included a long portico overlooking the sea, with corner pavilions, several suites of rooms rising tier upon tier over several levels, a peristyle, basins, and appended establishments such as a potter's kiln. A necropolis, located nearby, has produced a tomb with two stories. A museum has been installed in rooms of the villa adorned with mosaics of the 1st c. A.D. Architectural fragments are collected there as well as pottery from private collections, notably Greek vases of Italian provenience.


E. Duprat, Tauroentum (1935); F. Benoît, “Chronique arch.,” Gallia (1950); Gallia (1971, 1973).


hide Display Preferences
Greek Display:
Arabic Display:
View by Default:
Browse Bar: