previous next

WARNACH Belgium.

A Gallo-Roman vicus on the Arlon-Tongres road, known only from old excavations and rather imprecise reports. These noted several buildings interpreted as villas, a small building of wattle-and-daub, the foundations of a mutatio (?), barrows, etc. In addition, a castellum, excavated in 1865, consisted of a round tower, 20 m in diameter, with very thick foundations. It was surrounded by two wide, deep moats separated by an agger, forming a square enclosure. The potsherds and coins found during this excavation have been lost, so that it is impossible to date the fort precisely.


V. Balter & C. Dubois, “La vicus de Warnach,” Bull. de l'Inst. archéol. du Luxembourg 13 (1937) 25-33; id., “Contribution à Ia Carte archéologique de la Belgique,” Annales de l'Inst. arch. du Luxembourg (1936) 42-48; R. De Maeyer, De Overblijfselen der Romeinsche Villa's in België (1940) 220-21.


hide Display Preferences
Greek Display:
Arabic Display:
View by Default:
Browse Bar: