White Way just S of the hamlet of Syreford, in the parish
of Whittington and N of Andoversford (by which name
it has sometimes been known). Correlation of excavations carried out in 1863 with air photographs and recent rescue excavations suggests that this extensive site was predominantly of a sacred character, corresponding
with the complexes common in Gaul, but rare in Britain,
in which a temple is associated with baths and a theater. Several houses have been noted and a Romano-Celtic temple, 13.7 m square, while the outline of a probable theater appears to the N.
W. L. Lawrence, Proc. Soc. Ant. London2
2 (1861-64) 302-6, 422-26; H. O'Neil & A. D. Saunders, Trans. Bristol and Glos. Arch. Soc
. 78 (1959) 161-62; J.M.T. Lewis, Temples in Roman Britain
(1966) 77, 194P
; J.K.S. St. Joseph, JRS
59 (1969) 128; M.
1 (1970) 117, 123; 295.