previous next

ARCUS GRATIANI VALENTINIANI ET THEODOSII

built between 379 and 383 A.D. by these three emperors (CIL vi. 1184), as the monumental end of their PORTICUS MAXIMAE (q.v.). It stood close to the pons Aelius, and probably spanned its southern approach. It was destroyed in the fourteenth century, but some traces of it were visible in the sixteenth (Eins. 2. 2; 8. 2 (per arcum); Mirab. 5; Ordo Ben. ap. Jord. ii. 665; HJ 598; BC 1893, 20; Lib. Cens. Fabre-Duchesne, ii. 154).

hide Display Preferences
Greek Display:
Arabic Display:
View by Default:
Browse Bar: